Confused about what version of JRE to install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Jan 3, 2017.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I want to run a game called Cultris II on MacOS Sierra 10.12.2.

When I double click on the game it says "To open "Cultris" you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime". When I click on the "More Info..." button I get taken to this page on Apple's website.

So should I download that version from Apple, or should I get the latest version from Java direct?

All I need it for is this one game. I do understand that Java is not secure and I previously removed it from my system, but I would like to play this game.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You will be fine installing the java runtime from Apple. I have used it for years since I needed it for Photoshop 5. The java browser plugin is the security concern. You can disable java in Safari Preferences Security.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks CoastalOR. I will take your advice on this one.

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Just one more question, I installed the Java runtime from Apple and my game works ok. I don't see an option to disable to disable Java in Safari security preferences though. Maybe the runtime is different from actual Java?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The Apple installer just installs the runtime. That is not the case with all installers. If a java plugin is installed then you could disable it in Safari. You are good since you do not see it in Safari Preferences Security plugins.

6. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good, thanks again!