Confused and need your help regarding the new pro line

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjq1986, Aug 22, 2014.

1. mjq1986 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am currently using a late 2008 aluminium Macbook and my specs are Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz, 160 GB HDD, 8 GB ram (It was 2 GB but I upgraded it to 8 GB 2 years ago)

It has become considerably slower and the battery also doesn't last for long. I am so used to a Mac that I don't want to go back to Windows but as you all are aware that Macs are great and worth the price but still not cheap.

My Macbook runs okay and I think I can manage it but the other day I went to the Apple Authorised Dealer (I am from Pakistan so we don't have the Apple store here but authorised dealers) and checked out the new Macbook Air. I was totally blown away by how much fast they were and very response and then I realised how slow my machine has become.

I just got a job and I have my savings so I plan to get a new Macbook but the thing is that I am confused whether I should go for a Retina Macbook Pro 13 inches or a Macbook Air 13 inches. I want at least 256 GB space so I won't be going for the base model. Honestly, buying both will disturb my budget and utilise a major chunk of my savings. I want to buy a machine, which could last me another 5 years at least like this one.

My usage is not very heavy. I use the macbook for downloading, watching movies sometimes, managing the music, working on Microsoft Office, writing emails and sometimes working on iPhoto. Most of the places say that for this type of work load, MBA is quite good enough but then I am not sure if it would last me another 3-4 years in speed and my financial status doesn't allow me to get a new machine after every 1-2 years. I don't have the option to get a refurbished model so thats totally out of the question. I would really appreciate your help here people. I also don't have the option here in Pakistan to upgrade the MBA to 8 GB Ram so thats why I have to consider all these aspects.

Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the retina, you're paying a premium for 2 (3?) year old technology with the classic MBP. The rMBP has better performance, better GPU and the screen is gorgeous.

3. mjq1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think, I can still manage with the current macbook or will I feel a great difference in the new setup?

Btw I have never ever seen a retina display and curious to experience that!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you'll see a benefit with the office apps, photo editing.

On the other hand, if you think you can wring out another year or two on the old girl why not hold off

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

An SSD upgrade is what you need.

Hi OP

I would say that an SSD upgrade will make your old computer feel like new and barring any hardware failures (all computers fail at some point) should last you another couple of years.

I had one in my old 2010 Macbook pro and my brother still runs this as his main machine.

I would reccomend you take a look on here for SSD advice but the samsung 840 evo 256gb is probably the best bang for your buck currently.

I have one of the new retina ones myself and it is awesome but if money is an issue that SSD solution will see you through. Do a clean OS install and transfer files that you need and i'm sure it'll fly.

6. austinpike macrumors 6502

Hardware doesn't become slower over time. Your OS can get crudded up and your hard drive can get full and excessively fragmented. Back up everything, do a clean format and reinstall, and it will feel just like the day it was new. Replace the hard drive with an SSD as mentioned and it will feel better than new. Find a third party battery replacement if that's available to you.

If it serves your needs and $ is an issue a Core2Duo is plenty responsive and perfectly functional for everyday tasks.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

C2D MBP is still plenty fast, even by today's standards, especially for things you've mentioned. At most, I'd upgrade the hard drive to a 250-500 gig SSD such as Samsung 840 EVO, and replace the battery.

Other than that, I'd hold off for a MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM, if they ever do decide to release it with that much memory...

8. ano0oj macrumors 6502

If a macbook is going to disturb your budget or take a good chunk of your savings, maybe consider a less expensive alternative?

9. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I would go for the rMBP, if you're concerned about it lasting a long time a higher spec machine is a better choice, esp regarding the RAM, I would say 8GB would future proof you much better than 4GB which isn't much by todays standards (although completely sufficient for the uses you have stated). The retina screen is massively better than the one on the air too.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As someone else suggested, replace the HDD in your current computer with a SSD. This will extend the life of your computer by another year or two, and will be much cheaper than a whole new rMBP or MBA.

11. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I third this advice. From what you described as your usage switching to an SSD on your current laptop while be more than sufficient. The reason the macbook air is blazing fast/responsive as you said is because by default comes with flash storage which is apple's fancy way of referring to the technology that come in after-market SSDs. Hope it disuades you from spending a fortune on a new computer you really don't need. I know by experience since this summer I bought the latest model of the MBA and while I liked the design when compared to my 13" cMBP I had upgraded to an SSD on this bad boy the experience wasn't all that much more improved, if any, when comparing between the two.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

13. mjq1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Unfortunately, in my part of the world, I still don't have SSD so I have to wait. I was thinking about replacing the battery for it to work. Thanks again for your support and help. It really means a lot everyone :)

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

They sell macbooks but not ssds? Where is that?

15. mjq1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am from Lahore, Pakistan :)

Mostly people use Windows based computers here and for the past few months, people are becoming more aware of Apple and Mac OS and shifting to it so thats why technology takes time to travel here. Since, we have Apple authorised dealers here so if we want a certain model or something, we have to order it. Usually the ones that are already made are delivered very soon but if you want a custom one then that would easily take around 1 month.

16. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

An SSD isn't specific to Mac for it to work with your computer - they are a standard Hard disk replacement part, ones from Samsung, Crucial etc are all compatible and can be used to replace your existing hard disk.

Worth some research, even mail order would be a cost effective upgrade for you I suspect, they are very easy to fit and install.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

You should listen to simonsi!
    Order an ssd.

18. Grohowiak macrumors member

Grohowiak

SSD = Solid State Drive
    In case this isn't clear.

19. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

That is a wonderful computer well worth keeping as long as you can. We still have one of those going strong in our family. A new battery and an SSD drive will make that a new machine.
    Just an extra note, I just went from a 2010 MBA to a 2013 rMBP, and the major reason was Apple finally got the size down to where it needs to be. The newer rMBPs are great machines.

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep if you can get Amazon or an eBay seller to ship to you, you can get a solid state drive. There are instructions all over the internet for how to install. Just be careful to buy an authentic product and not some Chinese fake.

That said, the retina MacBook Pros are very nice. If you do consider buying one, you may see if you can get a late-2013 model for less that the mid-2014. There isn't much difference in performance.

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

What? MBA's with 8GB RAM are already available....

22. mjq1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. I have researched a lot but what I can do is that I can ask around any friend who is coming abroad.

----------

Yes I know that it stands for that but still thank you for clarifying once again. I really appreciate that :)

----------

I might be getting the rMBP if I can manage it if I get a good price for my current macbook and no idea for how much should I sell it. I think if I convert my currency into dollars then I can hopefully get around $300.

Its a great machine without an iota of doubt and intact my first Apple computer and thats what made me stick to Apple and ditch Windows for good.

----------

The shipment costs to Pakistan are very high so I wouldn't opt for that route. However, I might ask any friend or relative to bring it for me if they are coming from abroad.

That said, I am still interested in the rMBP so I might be getting one as my computer has served me well and its a great machine but after seeing the sleek, slim and light new machines along with a great battery life, I just can't resist getting one (LOL)