Confused and scared about these console messages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lester52, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Lester52 macrumors member

I use ClamXav and iantivirus. I know many say it is unnecessary to do so, but as a new switcher I just feel comfortable with some protection. However, every time I open up the ClamXav update log the console opens and it gives me these messages. I'm scared something is wrong. What do these mean?

[Edited for length]

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

for me it seams to be auto updates for iantivirus. (NS) while (NSA) is the auto update

I might be wrong but it seams like that to me

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Turn off ClamXav. If the console messages go away, you know it's only ClamXav updating. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.

4. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

With the smart update thing I think that could possibly be from me clicking the smart update button in iAntivirus. I'm not positive but I was on the computer early this morning and I believe I did try updating via the smart update button.

I'm not sure if there is a way for me to shut ClamXav off without uninstalling it because I don't use the Sentry thing. I just do manual scans by starting it up like I would a regular program. I did manually update ClamXav this morning or very late last night if I recall.

Is there anything in the console messages that suggests something bad? I know antivirus software can sometimes use up a lot of CPU, but I can deal with that. Anything to suggest something bad like hacking, security issues, etc?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. Console is to diagnose problems, not to find them. Applications regularly log activity to Console even when working properly. Put it out of your mind.

Bear in mind that ClamXav only scans for Windows viruses. ClamAV is antivirus software intended for UNIX mail and file servers to prevent viruses from spreading between Windows clients via services running on the server, and ClamXav is just the Mac OS X port of that.

I wrote an antivirus program a while back that just displays a dialog box saying, "Your computer has no viruses!". It is 100% accurate 100% of the time because there are no Mac viruses. If it's peace of mind you're after, I could send you a copy.

6. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

Peace of mind is definitely something I can use, but from this I gather that things seem to be peaceful already (maybe with the exception of CPU hogging programs). I thank all three of you for your help and apologize for my paranoia. Age+my experience on windows makes me scared of my own shadow sometimes.

I know this isn't necessarily on the subject of what I asked about, but so long as I don't give my password out like Halloween candy should I put these hacker and security issues out of my mind?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's right. Depending on how and where you use your computer, you might want to consider other security measures. The linked article doesn't mention it, but some people also like to create a new standard user account for day-to-day use and only use the admin account when necessary.

That said, I haven't used most of the security features mentioned above and have never had any breaches or malware in my 7 years of using Macs exclusively.

8. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

I will definitely follow the advice of that article and try to relax. Once again, thank you kindly. Enjoy your weekend :)

9. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

no need to worry as long as you use common sense while online. :)

always know what you are installing and always check the address field in your browser.

in general there is no viruses for Mac yet. there is some trojans but as long as you know what you are doing there is no need to even think about it.