Confused: best way to update to 2.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Thoros, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Thoros macrumors newbie

Given the tens of thousands of tutorials that are out there on the subject, I'm quite confused by now.

I have an iPhone 2G that runs FW 2.1 and is unlocked and jailbroken. Because I want a specific program that is in the App Store, I'm forced to update to at least 2.2. So now, I want to upgrade to 2.2.1.

What is the best way to do this? I want to keep the unlock and jailbreak and I'm on OS X 10.5.6. Can I update through iTunes, run QuickPWN and keep all of my programs, text messages, etc? I've read horror stories about the DFU-patch, does this affect a 2G iPhone and a normal white MacBook?

Lots of questions, so many contradictory answers...

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Just update to firmware 2.2.1 through iTunes and run QuickPWN in order to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Not sure where you are reading contradictory answers. I've seen this question answered dozens of times on these forums. :)

Just use a USB hub when you jailbreak.

4. Thoros thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, update worked as you guys said. So I hooked up a USB-hub and fired QuickPWN up. That's when things got weird...

It downloaded the firmware bundle, I entered DFU-mode, but then I got (which I assume is) the white screen of death. Quickpwn kept working though and transferred a few dmg's to my iPhone. After a few minutes, I got the "I haz succes" screen. However, my iPhone was stuck on that white screen. Fed up with waiting, I rebooted the thing. Luckily enough, everything still works.

But now I lost my jailbreak and that's not convenient. Without OpenSSH it's impossible to change the duration of the vibration alert, so I really need that jailbreak. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

6. Thoros thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, that seems like a lot of hassle. Could it have been iTunes that was still running?

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

No, it's quick and easy :)

8. Thoros thread starter macrumors newbie

And that keeps all of my text messages and programs?

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You'll need to back up and do a restore afterwards that to keep your texts.