Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manjurr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Hi guys,

First time poster, long time lurker! I got my macbook yesterday, 2 ghz white (hooray for toilet seats!), and am a little bit confused between universal and powerpc apps. From what I understood, the universal apps are for Intel Macs, while the PowerPc apps are for the G4 procs. Now, my confusion is here: CAN I run PowerPc apps in my macbook? Because I need to use a few apps that I know are not universal (Office Mac, for one), and was wondering if I can actually run it because of Rosetta?

Thank you for your patience!

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Universal means it is universal, it is for both PowerPC and Intel. It is rare you will find an Intel only Application.

Rosetta will allow you to run PowerPC applications on your MacBook, so you can install Office and such as you wish.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
But not all PPC apps will work under Rosetta, especially (or perhaps particularly) those that add kernel extensions. Examples that I know of are VPN clients such as Cisco's. The Cisco VPN client is now Universal, but unlike most PPC apps, the PPC version won't work at all.

But most PPC applications do work under Rosetta.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Some screensavers don't work either.

Same with System Preferences panels that aren't universal.

manjurr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Cool! Thank you SO much!! Now I can install me Word and start on the essaying!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
manjurr said:
Cool! Thank you SO much!! Now I can install me Word and start on the essaying!

Enjoy! And while you're at it, you may want to check out your trial version of Pages (should be on your computer). Congrats on your toilet sea, er, MacBook!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
markkk! said:
Some screensavers don't work either.

Same with System Preferences panels that aren't universal.
PPC web browser plugins are also a broad category that doesn't work unless you are running your browser in Rosetta mode...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.