Confused by backup, time machine and disk format.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spikeywan, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

My rMBP has to go to the Apple Store for a repair, so the Genius sent me home to do a backup. It's time I did one anyway. It seemed easy when he told me, but now I'm at home, it's not looking quite so simple.

I have a 500Gb external drive, and am running Mountain Lion 10.8.4, which has all the updates applied.

I've read about the different disk formats, and Time Machine, but don't seem to be able to do it the way I was expecting.

My first issue is accessing the backup with a PC. Is this possible? I know software wont work, but it would be nice to have access to my documents, photos, iTunes library etc.

So before I try to go any further, do I have an unrealistic goal?

If not, how should I format the external drive, and how should I do the backup? Can I use Time Machine, or do I need to use something else?

Thanks.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Format the drive to HFS+. Works with TM and is readable but not writeable in Windows.

3. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"?

Is it worth using "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)"?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No. Just regular, and install HFSExplorer (free) on your PC.

5. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

6. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

Okay, I admit to being a newbie Mac user but I am a long time PC user (recent convert.)

When I made the move to a macbook pro, I formatted all my portable drives using Mac OS extended. I picked this format because I can read and write to the drives from either a PC or my macbook. No other software, drivers, or programs needed.

I use Adobe software to create video, edit photos, etc, and I am able to use the portable drives to move between platforms.

I guess I am not seeing the advantage to using HFS+ when it will cause write problems for the PC.

7. kensic macrumors 6502

i used the time machine for the first time yesterday w/o even reading up on it.

this is what i did. i have a pc windows external that i use to transfer stuff around.

i plugged it into my MBP, it reads and asks me if i want to use this external drive as a backup in time machine.

i clicked yes.....it does it's thing with the formatting.

after the formatting was done, now i enter the time machine main menu. and the very first back-up was automatic in 60 seconds.

now i can use this to restore. so i did a test, i divided my internal hard drive into 2 partitions. *didn't even format it"

restarted the computer and hold *command R*....used the Restore option....and follow the prompt. i restored the backup in the external drive into that new partition i created. so now i have 2 partition of the same thing.

everything was so easy

so just plug it in and follow the prompts.

8. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, Time Machine is a breeze to use. I just wanted to make sure that I could read it from a PC.

After the usual amount of PC fiddling about and installing, I can now see the disk.

Although I've just realised something rather fundamental...

All my photos are in iPhoto, so I don't have the traditional folders full of jpegs....

Ah sod it. If I have any serious issues, I'll just have to buy a cheap second hand mac mini or something.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What makes you say that?
    What looks like a single clump in Finder, is actually a structure of folders and files, called a bundle/package in OS X land.
    As a matter of fact, you can explore it's contents in Finder:
    [​IMG]

10. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm happy with that from a mac point of view. Can one do that on a PC, to recover my photos, if my mac explodes, though?

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

On a Windows you would only see the folder structure, because Explorer doesn't know a thing about OS X Packages!
    As I said, the package presentation in Finder is just a gimmick, to make complex file structures look simpler - as one piece.
    PS If you'd look at the same iPhoto Library in Terminal (command line : ls -la), you'd also notice, that it really is a folder (directory), not a file.

12. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes. You can even cd into the library.

Thanks.