Confused by Pismo manual re adding RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 15, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

A basic question first.
    Are the manuals for Mac desktops and laptops written in such a way as to make money for Apple?
    What I mean is that, using RAM as an example, I can go on eBay and buy a brand new stick of 512 mb RAM with 144 pins, running at pc133 for £25 BUT the manual says on the subject ....
    "Important Make sure that the RAM expansion card you are installing is made for your Macintosh PowerBook model. Components designed for other PowerBook models will not work with your computer"
    The thing is that I am pretty sure that if I went to a place that sold Mac stuff and said, "Hi there, I'd like to buy a 512mb stick of RAM that was made specifically for a Pismo", it would cost me more than £25. Probably a lot more.
    I'm also pretty sure that as long as it is the correct size, shape, power etc and bought from a reputable place and not just a cheapo Chinese import, it will work just as well.
    The bottom line is, Do you take the manuals as Gospel or use them to find out where stuff is on your PC and how it works, maybe how to remove and replace parts?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

What the manual is referring to is not using specific Apple Ram, but telling you the ram isn't cross compatible between notebook models. So the equivalent today would be saying that you can't use the iMac ram with the Macbook (different bus speeds, ect).

So you can't take the ram out of a PowerBook and install it in the Pismo.

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

(quote) So you can't take the ram out of a PowerBook and install it in the Pismo. (unquote)

OK, now I'm even more confused, lol
    The Pismo IS a Powerbook..

The question is, will ANY 512 stick of RAM with 144 pins, pc133 SODIMM work in a Pismo or, as the manual says, does it have to be a stick of RAM made specifically for the Pismo.
    If it doesn't need to be a stick of RAM made specifically for the Pismo, why does the manual say it does?

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ I found a stick of PC100 128MB RAM lying on the ground next to my high school's field. Lol.