Confused by Pwnagetool "activate the phone" terminology

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by occamsrazor, Jun 8, 2011.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I'm confused about the option "activate the phone" in Pwnagetool. The guides I've read mostly say "If your iPhone is on an official carrier, untick ‘Activate the phone’. If you want to use your iPhone on an unofficial carrier, tick this box."

Does this refer only to the initial activation? I am on an official carrier so can do the initial activation using that, but also want to be able to use the phone on other carriers using Ultrasnow, but I don't need to activate with an unofficial carrier.

So should I tick the box or not?

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

No,
    hactivation is only needed if you dont have an at simcard to activate the phone to get it to start working!

3. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Thanks...

Out of interest, what would happen if you DID have the box ticked and then started it up with an official carrier SIM?

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

rapture time.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

if you do it forces a activation and then you will always have your battery draining more

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

People hactivate when they don't have the official SIM card required to activate the phone. Example: I used to hactivate iPhones (I'm a reseller) if I didn't have the official carrier SIM card. Now that I have SIMs from the 3 major iPhone carriers in my region, I don't need to do this anymore. Hactivation can affect battery life negatively and can also cause problems with push notifications.

If you live in the USA and have an AT&T SIM card, do not hactivate. Just insert your SIM and plug it into iTunes and it will activate.

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

you won't be able to connect to your carrier (unless, I presume, you run ultrasn0w). This happened to me. My phone couldn't talk to AT&T and I had to re-JB.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    If you hactivate then your official carriers sim wont connect.

9. Ergolad macrumors newbie

What if I'm just prepping a phone and the sim is deactivated?

Know this is an older thread, but say you had an AT&T 3GS, but had deactivated the sim when you upgraded to 4S. I am selling the phone to someone who will likely use it on another carrier. I am leaving the old sim in the 3GS. I planned on using Pwnage to restore the phone and retain the baseband, just as I have every other time I've jailbroken it. The only difference is that the sim isn't active. The purchaser understands it is up to them if they want to unlock the phone.

Can I still Jailbreak with a custom IPSW even with the sim not active?? I assume I would still leave "Activate the phone" unchecked.

10. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Better to start a new thread than revive an old one.

Active sim or not doesn't affect jailbreaking.

You can even activate the phone with an inactive sim. It just needs to recognise an official sim.

I would sell the phone non jailbroken, than it is up to the buyer to decide what they wanty to do with it. You can sell it with the old sim or not, although it is inactive, it still might have your phonenumber on it, better check that.

I bought an AT&T microsim online to have a backup for my original AT&T sim. That one does have an old number.