Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98072

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Hi everyone! I need a new laptop in a few days and still torn between the 15" base MBP or the MP 2.4 both unibody. I like the screen of the MBP but not sure if the computer itself will be too bulky. I trave a few times per month and do like a laptop i can grab on the run at anytime and not sure if this is possible with the MBP?

I like the MB but not sure if the screen size would be straining or too small? I love the portability however.

I am on a plane a few times per month too and sometimes like to watch movies on it, so again, not sure if this would fly with the 15" MBP, any help here much appreciated! thanks---

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Besides watching movies what else will you be using your laptop for?

If your main usage is online video, movies, internet, mail etc.. MB is probably plenty of machine aside form screen size.

If your planning on doing video editing, photoshop, or any gaming I'd say the 15" with dedicated GPU hands down.

andrew upstairs

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2009
Downtown Los Angeles

If your main usage is online video, movies, internet, mail etc.. MB is probably plenty of machine aside form screen size.

If your planning on doing video editing, photoshop, or any gaming I'd say the 15" with dedicated GPU hands down.
My sentiments exactly.

I initially bought the 2.4 MacBook. Traded it in a few days ago for the 2.66 Pro. Specifically for audio editing and production. The MacBook was great for general use, though, and I loved the size.

kp98072

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009

Id be doing some photo stuff, basic. Also I just like the bigger screen because its easier to see web text when reading newpapers etc. thanks!

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
i am on the opposite side looking at downgrading to the new white macbook which is cheaper, faster than i ever need (even for advanced photo stuff) and much more portable. i bought my macbook pro facing one year alone in a remote fishing town... to play games on.

i ended up liking the place so much that i did everything but play games.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I bought a 2.4 MacBook and thought the screen was horrendous. I returned it and got a MacBook Pro instead and am very happy with it. They didn't even charge me the restocking fee :)

Even though it's only 2", the size is noticeable to me. But my previous laptop was a 17" MacBook Pro, so they all seem small to me now :p I had no problems on a plane even with the 17". But I can't comment on all airlines or class seatings, but I would imagine the 15" would be comfortable on most flights.

If you're going to be looking at the screen for extended periods of time, I'd recommend the MBP. Of course it's personal preference. The extra money was worth it for me for the screen.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
MacBook

I had a Powerbook G4 with a 15" screen, for 7 years. I recently purchased the 2.4 Ghz MacBook. I have no issues with the smaller screen size, because there are enough pixels (screen size 1280 x 800) that I can arrange my app windows to see just as much on the small screen as I had on my previous larger screen. Also, don't forget that you can use Spaces to have multiple desktops, which also works well on the smaller workspace of the MacBook. I find the size of the MacBook to be much more portable than my old Powerbook G4.

Instead of listening to us, I suggest going to an Apple Store or somewhere else where these laptops are sold and see for yourself if the smaller screen is comfortable for you.

P.S. On Southwest flights, my Powerbook G4 with 15" screen was too big to open fully if the person in front of me had the seat reclined. Not a problem with 13" MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.