Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aceweil

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I hope someone can give me an idea of what I might have done. I had a problem with my iPhone 4 so I did a factory reset of the phone, and in doing so had it upgraded to 4.3.3(8J2)...this also updated my modem firmware to 4.10.1
I didn't realize this prevented a prober JB and didn't have a backup. I was able to JB the phone, but now when I plug it into iTunes it asks me if i would like to restore or set up as a new phone. I don't want to lose the JB, but have no music, or access to my .ipa files that I have in iTunes. I can't access iTunes apps or anything because I have not run through the iTunes setup on the computer. If I set it up on iTunes, either as a new device, or as a restore will I lose everything? Thanks for any help. Kinda confused here.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I'm pretty sure you can restore from backup without losing your JB but I could be wrong. Even if you lose your jailbreak in doing so, just do it again after you restore from backup. :p

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
@OP

Restoring from backup is not the same as restoring the firmware, if you are currently Jailbroken, you can set the phone as new and sync all your musics, apps, etc like normal and JB will remind (this is advisable) or you can restore form your backup and bring back your settings, SMSs, App, etc, also JB will be unaffected by this.

JB will be gone only by restoring the firmware...no backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.