Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volitalis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Hello all,

I am, and have been, a windows user for as long as I can remember. But then one fateful day, I walked into an apple store, spent an hour using a macbook pro, and made the decision I wanted to make the transition to apple!

But therein lies my predicament; I will be going to university this year in London, and have saved some money during my gap year and want to buy a new computer, and will get the 14% student discount. My 2 choices are:

Macbook Pro 2.66ghz with the 512mb 9600M NVidia

ORR

iMac 24" 2.93ghz with at least the GT130 512mb NVidia [although I don't know how much better the ATI RADEON HD 4850 512mb would be than the NVidia one]

I won't be taking the computer anywhere, only very occasionally when I go on long trips, but thats not important. I'm more worried about getting the most powerful and practical computer for the price

I will be using it for day to day word processing, and internet browsing, music playing etc. But then I will be using bootcamp, windows, flight simulator and flight simulator accesories [yoke, pedals and throttle], as well as playing other games.

So I ask for help, which one should I get??

Thanks

volitalis

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I actually used to work for a help desk at a university and if you have problems with your internet in halls, you will likely be asked to take your computer to the help desk. It would be easier to do that with a laptop IMO. However, I agree that the screen is amazing on the iMac and that would be my choice.

kenlee620425

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Choice between MacBook Pro 15"

I think you would better make the choice between notebook and desktop as these would give you entirely different user experience. Judging your expectation on the Windows Applications especially on flight simulator, I would suggest you to go for the iMac 24". But wouldn't having the mobility - that is to carry the MacBook within the home (dinning table, toilet, bedroom, study room) be appealing?
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.