Confused. mail, exchange, activesync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shiunn, Oct 12, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,
    I'm confused about something. My uni's email recently migrated to the Microsoft Outlook thing? Anyway, i log in using the OWA service. I had no problem setting my iPhone up using the 'Microsoft Exchange" type. But when it comes to Mail on my leopard, things are totally different.

iPhone didn't ask me anything about incoming or outgoing mail. But Mail is asking me for my Incoming Mail Server, Outlook Web Access Server, Outgoing Mail Server. There are existing ghosted examples like smtp.example.com. I'm not well versed in these Exchange thing, but surely it's not imap or smtp isit? I don't know what to fill in these! Please advise.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

To connect to Microsoft Exchange, you need to use Entourage (which is part of Office 2008). Make sure that you get the Standard Edition or Special Media Edition, not the Home and Student Edition. You should be able to get Office 2008 for a great price from your university -- ask at the campus bookstore.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

does that mean the included Mail cannot do the job?

4. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

another question

As I am looking through the different packages of Microsoft Office 2008 for mac, I see that the standard edition has this "Microsoft Server Exchange Support" which the student edition doesn't.
    What exactly does this "Microsoft Server Exchange Support" do?
    Sorry if this is potentially a noob question.

Thanks

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Mail can't do the job the same way that the iPhone can.

The iPhone has ActiveSync support built right in. Mail on your Mac doesn't. However, Mail on your Mac does support the industry standard POP and IMAP protocols for mail. I'd be surprised if your mail server doesn't support those.

"Microsoft Server Exchange Support" is basically ActiveSync, which is what the iPhone has.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

So, let's say I get the Microsoft Office 2008 Mac standard edition which has the "Microsoft Server Exchange Support", how will it work? Under Mail? Or under Entourage? Or is it another program by itself?

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Entourage is the app that comes with Office that supports Exchange. :)

FWIW, the next version of OS X (Snow Leopard) is supposed to come with updated versions of Mail, Address Book and iCal that directly support Exchange. Not that this helps you now, but just so you know.

If you don't want to spend the money for Office just to get Entourage, check with your IT folks and see if they allow mail access via IMAP or POP. If so, the Mail program on your Mac should do the job just fine. (Although that's just addresses email, and not your calendar and contacts on the Exchange server.)

8. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks aristobrat. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but imap IS supported. i'm asking so many questions here cuz I thought this might be a good chance to understand few small details. And also, the uni recommends using Exchange, then failing that, use Imap.

1)Why is Exchange preferred to Imap?
    2)So, Nadyne. Why shouldn't I get the student edition? It has Entourage doesn't it?

thanks again

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Exchange handles syncing your address book and calendar in addition to your email. IMAP only syncs email. Maybe they prefer you use Exchange so you're able to easily sync everything? :confused:

It looks like every version of Office (at least in the US) comes with Entourage. I'm not sure why only the Regular and Special Media Editions mention "Microsoft Server Exchange Support" as a separate feature.

Edit: OK, Microsoft says "For Office 2008 for Mac and Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Editions: Connectivity to Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 or later is required for certain advanced functionality in Entourage 2008", whatever that means. Clear as mud. :(

10. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

I long for the day when my uni will distribute timetables via syncing!

but thanks for clearing up stuffs. I feel more equipped now. :)

oh. two more things.

1) I registered for the OWA 3 weeks after it has been running. And by the time I logged in, there were approx 20 existing emails. I then went ahead and set up the Exchange on iPhone. But only 5 emails were displayed. Not that I mind, but why is that?

2) Some worries stemming from Q1. Will having imap on my mac disturb the syncing with the Exchange on my phone?

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Entourage is a part of all editions of Office:Mac. However, Entourage in the Home and Student Edition does not support accessing Exchange servers. If you need to access Exchange servers, then you must get either Standard Edition or Special Media Edition. Entourage supports Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003, and Exchange 2007.

You'll have to ask your university if you can access your account both through IMAP and Exchange. It depends on how they have it set up.

Regards,
    Nadyne.