Confused-MBP or MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, May 31, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I have a DELL XPS M1530 which works very well for what I need it to do. I am one of those rare Windows users who actually know how to use a Windows machine and thus I have never had the problem of a virus.

I want to get a Mac just to try out as a secondary OS and to be honest with just because the Mac looks cool. There is nothing about Windows that I hate, so it is just the attractiveness of the GUI and the hardware that is the major drawing factor.

So, I have two options for my budget

1) Buy a refurbished MBA and keep my Dell. Use the MBA for school etc. That way I get to keep my Windows machine and don't feel overwhelmed new OS territory. The only downside is that, I am moving back home to India at the end of the year and can only take 1 laptop with me (According to the excise and custom rules of the country).

OR

1) Sell the XPS and buy a MBP. The only downside is that I will completely abandon Windows territory. I know I can run Windows on OS X but I hate running an OS in a VM, it's so annoying. I would rather have a separate PC.

What should I do? Any advice would help

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Get a MacBook Pro and abandon windows all together. You won't miss it. :) And there are alternatives like Parallels if you need to run a windows program, or bootcamp.

3. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

You dont have to run windows in a vm use bootcamp.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

macbook pro.

also you don't think you have a problem with windows, but once you switch, it's like turning a noisy fan off, it feels much better and you realize how annoying it was.

The Macbook Pro is already really thin and light. the MBA has great uses as a second computer but it's not the ideal solution for a dedicated computer.

5. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Ok,
    So it seems the verdict is a MBP.
    One last question

From time to time-the Refurb section has the Alum MBP for $1349 which I think is a great deal. Should I wait till WWDC for a minor upgrade to the MBP so the current one's go to the refurb section for like $1500.

I know that whenever a system gets an update, Amazon sells the previous gen for around $1550.

Is there any harm in waiting till WWDC or should I snag the $1349 alum?

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would snatch the deal regardless of what may come around WWDC. I doubt it will be anything major like a redesign or Blu Ray.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Go for the MBP - it's a fantastic computer (I have one and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned). Get Applecare and if you need Windows, Apple machines will readily run it. I don't miss Windows on my MBP, and I doubt you'll miss it either; however, I do need Word, - as everyone in my world uses it - hence I invested in Office for Mac.

Finally, I would wait until after next week; it is only a week, and you will kick yourself if there are any major advances (unlikely in the summer I know). Besides, as you point oiut, the current generation will most likely fall in price after next week.

Cheers and good luck

8. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

Is there any reason why you're only considering the two extremes (Air vs. Pro) and not the basic MacBook?

The Unibody, or even the basement-bargain WhiteBook (which JUST got it's semi-annual speed-bump), are awesome machines in their own right; they're both lighter than a MacBook Pro, and are more feature-laden than an Air. And they're cheaper than either.

Sure, the Unibody/White MacBook is not AS light as an MB Air, but the concessions in portability are minuscule compared to the compromises in features (1 USB Port vs. 2, no SuperDrive, no Hard-Drive or RAM upgradeability, FireWire only in WhiteBook) that you'd be making with the Air.

Regardless of which Mac you ultimately choose, running Windows on it should make for a better experience than on a PC. http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207400285

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Keep the machine you have if it is doing what you need it to. If you are desperate to try a new OS download a Linux distribution like Ubuntu - it's free!

10. macgrl macrumors 65816