Confused - New Dell Package or MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedlegsFan, May 23, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I have no more than $1,500 to spend. I was dead set on getting a great MBP13 either a current gen when the newer model comes out, or see what I can get on with the new models for that amount. However...I started digging around since at this point, all I can do is wait and I pieced together the following Dell system:

24in 4K monitor $374
    Dell Desktop
    4th Gen Intel i5-4460
    12GB DDR3
    2TB HD 7200
    Total w/ monitor: $874.98

I also have an existing 24in Dell monitor that I could use as a dual monitor setup. I know it's hard to answer the question of Mac or PC here, my use will be pretty typical but all this waiting to pick up a MBP has caused me to look around and this isn't a bad deal. I would be spending a good deal more for a MBP which I was going to use a desktop replacement. Thoughts? Good deal? Bad deal? Just get the Mac already?! Gah!

2. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

That's an incredibly lackluster and overpriced desktop build there, especially sans GPU. An i5's integrated graphics will struggle to push 4K pixels.

You know deep down in your heart that you really want a Mac machine.

If you really want a Windows PC, get this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198580

3. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

Really depends on what you want to do and what kind of mobile needs you have. Obviously the macbook serves a dual purpose as a desktop replacement and a mobile device.

4. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Agreed that the PC is pretty overpriced. You should look at pcpartpicker and reddit.com/r/buildapc to get the better bang for your buck with that budget if you really want to do some gaming.

I will say this: If you want to play some heavy gaming with the current titles, I'd say that the price range with the monitor included would be approximately $1000-$1500. That'll leave literally nothing for an Apple computer. However, if you want an Apple computer, I would either wait for the announcement of the new MBP's, and decide then if you want the newly released computers, or the ones released from 2015.

To make this even more complicated, last time I checked on eBay, verified sellers were selling the 8GB MacBook Air 13" for around $850-900, which is a great price for a great Apple laptop.

5. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the comments. I would not be gaming or doing any major video editing, but this has helped me make the decision to just wait it out and get a Macbook Pro once the new ones are released. Is the Macbook Pro 13 a good desktop replacement if you are not doing anything heavy, usage wise?

6. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

The 13 is sufficient for most photo editing (an external monitor helps obviously). It should be okay for light video editing, though the 15" would certainly give you better render/encoding times with the quad. For office/web type tasks, the 13 is more than sufficient.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Depends what you mean by that, it's not going to replace a quad core desktop machine with a decent dGPU in terms of performance.

However it has fairly decent performance can run up to 3 external screens and has good wifi, however you will need adapters for Ethernet connection and a dock can make plugging in screens, keyboards, mice and back up drives a one thunderbolt cable operation for ease of use.