Confused Newbie Needs Macbook Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac0624, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mac0624 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've searched this forum for advice on my dilemma, but as a newbie to Mac notebooks, the threads I found only left me more confused. So please forgive me if I'm beating the dead horse here.

I'm a veteran PC user and my current computer is in its death throes. I've backed up all my stuff onto an external hard drive so that I can make a smooth transition to a new computer. I've used my brother's Powerbook numerous times so I'm good with the interface of Mac notebooks, but I'm lost when it comes to specs and the like.

I've got two options I'm considering. My brother just got a new Macbook to take with him back to school, and he has offered to let me keep his old Powerbook for when my PC finally kicks it. It runs relatively well, only it takes forever to shut down and reboot, so he just puts it into sleep mode when he is not using it (I do the same with my PC, as I have a similar problem). So that's one option I have, although if the Powerbook crashes as my brother has predicted, I'm screwed for the most part.

However, I'm going to be heading off to college in the fall of 2009 and will be getting a Mac notebook in the spring as a graduation gift. I've heard, though, that Apple will be unveiling its next generation of notebooks sometime next year. I don't know much about it, but I've been hearing next spring/summer as the tentative release date.

So my question is: should I wait until the spring to get whatever Mac notebook there is and make due for now with my brother's old Powerbook? Or should I take advantage of the current promotion (iPod touch + my mom's teacher discount) and get the Macbook I want as an early grad gift? If, say, the next generation of notebooks came out in the spring, would they make the current Macbook obsolete?

Thanks for your responses. I think the current promotion ends in September, so swift replies would be appreciated!

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i'd make sure to keep good backups, and use the powerbook (why is it supposed to crash?) until a new macbook (pro) comes out that you are happy with purchasing. win win situation!

oh and once you get the powerbook, you should consider a fresh install of os x. it might fix whatever problems your brother is having with startup and shutdown.

3. mac0624 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I've been leaning towards, but my brother told me he has had issues with the Powerbook before (I remember him complaining about having to get the RAM slot fixed? No idea what that means...) and he had been afraid that one day he would shut it down and it would not reboot. So I'm just nervous that should it die in the near future, I'll have to scramble and shell out the cash for a Macbook anyway. I figured that the current Macbook promotion with the iPod touch and educator's discount that my mom can get would make the new purchase worth it, but then there's the issue with the new notebooks slated for release next spring...

4. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

there's nothing that i'm aware of wrong with the current macbooks, so if that's what you want (and you want the ipod touch) i don't think you're going to regret it. there's not much they can do with the macbook but up the cpu speed (change the chipset) and basics (ram, hard drive size) anyway, unless they dump the intel chipsets and go with ati/nvidia and use their onboard graphics. i haven't seen any rumors of discrete video or anything like that.

i've found that someone is always playing the waiting game, because something new is always right around the corner. the current rumor i believe is a september refresh for macbooks (and pros i think?). that ~might~ be worth waiting for, but i think you'd still miss the current promotion.

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

6. mac0624 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since you all have your fingers on the Apple pulse, is there any evidence to substantiate the rumor about a whole new line of notebooks next year? Or would the September updates be it for a while? Because if that's the case, then there wouldn't be a reason to wait until the spring to get the Macbook, especially if I can get that iPod Touch with it (my brother keeps shoving the one he got with his new Macbook in my face, and I admit I'm a tech junkie when it comes to cameras, phones, and mp3 players).

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Buy the macbook right now if you like it. The new updates won't dramatically change the whole laptop (design/specs). but if you do like the new features, rumors are that a glass trackpad and aluminum chassis. however, the free ipod touch + printer make up for these shortcomings. buy it if you like it the way it is right now.

8. mac0624 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really would love to get a Macbook now and be done with this, but now I'm afraid that money might be an issue as my dad just shelled out over $1500 for my brother's Macbook. Anyone know of any discounts/rebates for customers who buy two of the same product within a couple of weeks? :)

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Now that my brother has transferred his files to his new notebook, he's going to reformat the Powerbook and see if it runs any better. I can deal with that for now, but I think I'll go with the current promotion if I can scrounge up the money. The iPod Touch is irresistible. :D

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think a free, restored powerbook would be great for a while. Maybe let the college kid glory in his new MB. You will definitely have your day too. I kinda look for a MB update in sept. There will be some good deals on the now-current MB then.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Someone is always playing the waiting game, and unless you are the sort of techie who absolutely must have the latest, I'd say go now, as you'll have a superb machine which will last you years. Actually, if money is an issue, (given that your dad has already shelled out for your brother's MB) I'd say perhaps wait until the updates appear and then buy one of the soon-to-be-discontinued models, as quite generous discounts are often offered then. Moreover, bear in mind that models which are totally new sometimes have glitches which need to be ironed out. Cheers and good luck.

11. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

FYI: My friends used both the college discount and the teacher discount. They got a Macbook, iPod Touch, wireless mouse, MS Office, and a printer. (It was also tax free weekend) They saved almost $500. Free iPod Touch, printer, and discount on MS Office. So if you get one now, you can save lots and be safe.

12. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Take advantage of the promotion if you want the ipod touch and a free printer. The revisions on the macbook will be small from a technology standpoint with the biggest change being speculated is that the case will be aluminum and resemble the macbook air. Don't spend the extra money to upgrade the hard drive or the ram. These are very expensive from Apple and are easy to upgrade on your own if you feel you need to. And make sure you spend the money and get applecare. You are going to be trekking all over with your laptop and while they are tough, they are not indestructible.

When I bought my macbook I took advantage of the promotion because I needed an Ipod and a printer. I got a Core Duo and as soon as the promotion ended they released the next revision with Core 2 Duo in September. I had very little regret because even with Core Duo my machine was still kicking a$$. Any regret was mopped up with my free Ipod and printer which saved me almost $500.

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    If u need it NOW, get a 2.4 WMB refurb for $1049, sell it on eBay and buy a new MB when the new ones are released. I'd just limp along until next month and get a sweet new thin Aluminium Mac Book. Buy 4 GB Ram from Crucial for $97, and enjoy life on a computer the way it was mea;)nt to be

14. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Dave, You always have good fun advice. Are you boarding your windows? I live in Louisiana and care about storms anymore.