Confused on Adapters to get for my 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Odid, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Odid macrumors regular

Sorry, I've searched several threads, but some have different issues or want to connect different ways.

here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

okay. I want to connect via HDMI. Do I get the Mini DisplayPort to DVI>then a DVI to HDMI cable?

This will not get me audio correct? Either way I try to connect?

So, How do I get audio then?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I have a 13" MacBook Pro, here's my setup for HD and 5.1 surround sound.

MiniDisplayPort to HDMI - it cost me $14 with shipping
    Mini-toslink to Toslink cable - about $10 with shipping

Done.

There's no way to get audio out of the mini-displayport on the MacBooks, so you need 2 cables.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

monoprice sells an adapter that will give you hdmi output with audio:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

it is a clean solution but you will still need to plug in two connectors on your macbook. the mini display port and a usb (audio is done through a usb sound interface)

it all depends on your setup. if you need sound to go through the hdmi then that adapter would be your best bet.
    if you have external speakers then a separate sound output might be a better solution

4. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I really like this solution, the best you can possibly get.

5. Odid thread starter macrumors regular

I got the display to work but the audio isn't working. I don't get it.
    The Mini-toslink to Toslink cable isn't working. My TV says SPDIF out... so that means that it won't be able to connect to my Macbook??

6. vant macrumors 65816

What cable are you using to connect the display? I also recommend the monoprice method.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well, if it's going IN to your tv then it needs an IN right? Haha.

8. Odid thread starter macrumors regular

the Mini-toslink to Toslink cable

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Optical cables are only for sound.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You can use the Monoprice thing as suggested(recommended), Do the Optical cable for sound(Toslink+mini) or use a 1/8th inch to RCA(would plug into the red and white holes, L&R). Then besides that you need to go from mini display to hdmi. SO, without the monoprice dohickey you need one of these configs.

mini toslink adapter-toslink cable+Mini to DVI-Dvi to HDMI
    or
    1/8th inch(head phone plug) to RCA+mini to dvi-dvi-hdmi

or some other similar config.

11. Odid thread starter macrumors regular

Well I already got the MiniDisplay to HDMI but I can't seem to get the Mini-toslink to Toslink cable to work. I don't know how to get the macbook to output the sound through it.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I assume you have the toslink plugged into the TV and the mini plugged into the headphone jack. First, check if your tv has the sound set to optical in. Next, see if your macs sound is set to optical out when the cables in. If you have the mini plugged into your mac you should be able to see a red light at the other end of the cable, just dont stare directly into the thing when looking-this usually indicates if the sound is activated in the optical way

And there is always the chance that your toslink cable is cracked or broken inside.

13. Odid thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, still not working. Maybe I'm not doing something right. But I'm not sure. Maybe it's the wrong cable.

14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

first make sure your TV has a optical/toslink IN some TVs will only have an optical OUT for a receiver speaker system.

if this is the case you may need to buy the monoprice solution and do audio through the HDMI port or use a 1/8" to RCA cable to the tv, but this will not get you surround sound, only stereo.

15. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

oh i just looked at your picture. that optical port is an optical OUT not an IN. if you dont have another spdif port then your other option for audio are the ones mentioned in my previous post.

what type of sound setup do you have? if youre just using the TV speakers then using the RCA cable would suffice. if you have a surround sound system then you want to connect the optical cable to the receiver directly.

16. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Do they have that adapter to connect to components? All of my HDMI ports are taken up.