confused on amount of generations released ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by devils punchbow, Jun 27, 2010.

1. devils punchbow macrumors member

Hi. Got a newly released MBP recently. Now I'm looking at ipod touch as well. I purchased a used touch on ebay a few days ago. I feel I got a very nice price. I plan to probably resell it later in the year. Then get a new generation touch after they are released. I'm a little confused on how many generations of touch's have been released so far. I feel like their have only been 2 generations. Though ebay shows used touch's for sale as both 2nd and 3rd generation listings. The one I purchased on ebay was listed as 2nd generation. Could someone clarify my generation confusion please. Knowing that I am receiving the 2nd generation soon. Will this 2nd I'm waiting for to be delivered support multi tasking if I upgrade to 4.0 ? My purchase is being delivered to me with 3.1 installed.

2. Xavier macrumors 68030

There are 3 generations of iPod touch's.

The 2nd generation is the oldest iPod Touch that supports 4.0, but not all of its functionality. The 3rd generation iPod Touch does support 4.0.

3. devils punchbow thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I think what I'll do then is.......keep my acquired 2G from ebay on 3.1. Just wait for 4.0 til I get a new one after they are released.....

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

With that touch the only way you'll get multitasking is if you jailbreak it. I just did that to mine and I feel it was totally worth it :)

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

The newest ipod touch is supposedly coming out next Tuesday but i doubt it. There are three gens.

6. devils punchbow thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying number of generations. I don't want to buy new generation as soon as it comes out. I'd rather wait to make sure things are straight with new release. That is why I bought used on ebay for now. That will keep me happy, and be sure I use it enough to justify buying a new generation.

7. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Never mind. Same here. :)