Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACint24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Does this mean I have to just restore my phone to repair?

My real question is whether there is a chance of making my iPhone forever unusable by jail breaking?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Bricking means you make your iPhone completely unusable. So unusable it doesn't even turn on, go into DFU mode, or run in any noticeable way. There is no way to brick an iDevice, unless you are a very experienced dev wanting to do so.

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
I accidentally deleted a bunch of really important files while the phone was on (using Cyberduck) by not noticing that besides the file I selected being highlighted, two other large and important files were also highlighted. By the time I realized what was happening, it was a major ooops moment. I went to restore it and it wouldn't come out of bootlogo. However, after about half an hour of messing with it, I got it to restore. I think, unless you crush it or drop it on something hard enough to break connections, or submerge it, the phone will always be restorable. That is, unless you break a port somehow and can't connect it to your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.