Confused on "Bricking"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ACint24, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ACint24 macrumors member

Does this mean I have to just restore my phone to repair?

My real question is whether there is a chance of making my iPhone forever unusable by jail breaking?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bricking means you make your iPhone completely unusable. So unusable it doesn't even turn on, go into DFU mode, or run in any noticeable way. There is no way to brick an iDevice, unless you are a very experienced dev wanting to do so.

3. ACint24 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I needed to know.

Downloading redsn0w now :)

4. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I accidentally deleted a bunch of really important files while the phone was on (using Cyberduck) by not noticing that besides the file I selected being highlighted, two other large and important files were also highlighted. By the time I realized what was happening, it was a major ooops moment. I went to restore it and it wouldn't come out of bootlogo. However, after about half an hour of messing with it, I got it to restore. I think, unless you crush it or drop it on something hard enough to break connections, or submerge it, the phone will always be restorable. That is, unless you break a port somehow and can't connect it to your computer.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Barring physical damage, it is impossible to brick an iPhone. The worst that can happen is that you will have to do a DFU restore.