Confused on how macs work..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicknicknickh, Jun 12, 2011.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

I started install a program for my new camera (just got a mac 2 days ago). Okay so I put in the cd and the little things opens and says welcome with the nikon crap ( the second photo ) is that supposed to happen please look at the photos and why is their still a thing on my desktop saying ViewNX2 with a picture off a cd I really don't understand how macs work.

I really appreciate you're time guys :)

Attached Files:

2. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Right click -> Eject Disk. Or drag to the trash (which turns to the eject button when you mouse over).

To actually install the program, you need to open a second finder window, and drag it into the Applications folder. You'll see a status bar as it actually installs, and voila! You are installed.

If you need to uninstall something, you just delete it from the Applications folder.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

Incorrect, you do install some programs by simply dragging the icon to the Applications folder, but in this case it included an installer which I see you have completed in your screenshot. You should now be able to find and launch the installed app from you Applications folder.

The picture of the CD is the CD you inserted to install the software. You can eject it by either by dragging it to the trash or right-clicking and ejecting.

4. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Cboss - You are correct. I didn't look at the pictures closely (on my phone).

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It seems that you would benefit from the free workshops Apple provides at Apple Stores. Find a time and place that works for you at:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

They work the same way PCs work:
    1. Insert CD
    2. Double-click installer
    3. Install software
    4. Eject CD
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

From the looks of your screen snaps, it seems you did something right, in that the first part of the installation has completed, and you're being invited to click the "continue" button to proceed to the next step.

So, do that (if you haven't already). When the process is fully completed, it'll say so. At that point you can eject the CD by dragging its image to the trash can (which will turn into an Eject icon as you get near it).

Photography software can be notoriously complicated to install. For a newcomer, it would not be the software I'd choose to introduce the process! Just be glad it's not Leica software, by far the worst I've ever had to deal with (on Windows, at least... wouldn't want to inflict that stuff on a poor innocent Mac!).

The process is usually simple, and there's usually a readme file that explains how to do it. 90% of the installations you're likely to meet will fall into two categories: (1) Drag the application icon to your Applications folder (which you'll find by double-clicking the hard disk icon on your desktop), or (2) double-click the application installer and it'll take it from there. Similarly, 90% of the time, uninstalling an application is as simple as dragging it from the Applications folder to the trash.

You'll get used to it with time. We're here to help, and I second the recommendation of another poster to take advantage of the free trainings at the Apple Store. They're great!

Have fun with your new machine.