Confused on how messages works.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fugue, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

Quick question that I have been pondering on and off for a while now.

Sometimes, Messages shows the date and time a message arrived, for each text message.

Other times, it shows nothing but the bubble of the text message. No time. No date.

It's annoying because it's not uniform throughout. Is there a method to this madness? Is it completely random?

2. shandyman Suspended

it tends to only show time and date when a certain amount of time has passed from the last to the next, don't know what the gap has to be, but if you get one straight away, no time or date, but if it was coupla hours later, then you get time and date, can be annoying tho

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It shows the date and time when there has been no activity for a period of time (something like 10-15 minutes). If there is no date and time then you were sending and receiving pretty much straight away!

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

This annoys me too. I would rather have a time stamp on all my text. Especially when someone says wait x number of min and you forget to look at the time.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if your jailbroken there is a few ways to time stamp every message,

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Another reason I love whatsapp

I have a HUGE issue with this at times...especially when in not so great service areas, the order/timing gets messed up.

I've asked it several times in other threads without ever getting a message: Do iMessage texts get a stamp with every text? A read/receipt feature is half-***ed without them IMO.

7. shandyman Suspended

Whatsapp and SMS are different things, not everyone has whatsapp, but everyone has SMS, not comparable.

iMessage is same as SMS on iPhone, so same rules.

8. Mahshall macrumors member

Jailbreak + biteSMS

That allows me to have a timestamp on every SMS sent and received plus various other nice things such as password protection and reply from any app.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I didn't say they are the same thing. I said that's just another reason I love whatsapp.

It's not like a timestamp for every text is IMPOSSIBLE via SMS, plenty of other phones do it....in fact, every phone I've had displayed the time on every SMS text, except the iPhone of course.

I wasn't comparing them, but because of that fact (^^), they are comparable. If it was impossible for SMS technology to identify the time that each message was sent, you'd be right in saying they aren't.

10. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Also note, it's not a default setting to timestamp every message.

11. shandyman Suspended

my point is they are 2 different technologies so they aren't comparable at all, it's like comparing a vinyl record to a DVD....

i wasn't saying that SMS cannot do timestamping for each message or anything like that, if anything, i wouldn't mind if the iPhone did it.

12. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Well your point is wrong, in fact they are exactly comparable. They are both messaging apps, written in the same language and compiled for the same device. They both use different protocols for sending those messages but other than that they are the same.

The fact that they don't have an option for always timestamp absolutely sucks and it's one of the reasons that bitesms is the first app I ever install.

13. shandyman Suspended

they're not the same kind of messaging. it's like comparing msn/yahoo/other IM's to email. the commonality is they're electronic and send text and on same machine, but it's a whole different methodology. anyway this is going OT.

as i said, i agree that it's rubbish that they aren't timestamped. but it's not a dealbreaker and deffo not a sole reason to jailbreak TBH.

14. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

That must be why Apple put them in different apps... oh wait.:eek:

15. shandyman Suspended

meh you got me on that one i spose, didn't think of that. mind you, took you 4 days to think of it :p fair enough tho. i'd gotten fed up anyway as it was going way OT.