Confused on how to upgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mynameisrichard, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mynameisrichard macrumors member

Every thread I'm going to has all this mumbo jumbo in it about updating firmware. As far as I'm aware, if I update while jailbroken, I'll lose all my jailbroken stuff and tack on 500MB of "other" stuff. My phone won't brick or anything so I'm supposed to be safe there, correct? The other way is to put it in DFU mode and all that (but isn't that just if my phone isn't recognized?).

I was planning on just backing up my phone, and then clicking restore from backup. Isn't that possible? After restoring, I'm sure it'll ask me if I want to download and install the new update which I'll be doing and then I'll have a stock phone with 3.0 and no jailbreak right?

Then after 3.0 is out for QuickPwn, I can do the same thing I did for 2.2.1 right?

Sorry, I'm just confused and want to get this all straight.

2. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm trying to figure out how to properly save all the themes, etc. I have via ssh so when it's safe - can just drag them in but I'm unclear where all I need to dig them out of, etc.