Confused on jailbreaking new iPhone 3GS 3.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cashonly, Oct 28, 2009.

1. cashonly macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, but I've read the stickies and I'm thoroughly confused on what to do with my particular configuration.

I just got an iPhone 3GS under contract from AT&T running version 3.1 (7C144) with Modem Firmware 05.11.07 and my PC has Windows XP on it.

I want to jailbreak it and avoid having to do a "tethered reboot" issue. I was under the impression that I could do this if I bought an iPhone with 3.1 on it.

However, I'm not sure which tool I need to use and if I need to upgrade to v3.1.2 to jailbreak it. I find stuff for jailbreaking 3.0 and 3.1.2 and devices upgraded to 3.1.2, but nothing on 3.1 that was bought from AT&T.

BTW, I don't have an issue upgrading to 3.1.2, just don't want to have the tethered reboot issue and want to make sure I use the right firmware.

A little help for an iPhone newbie please.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can jailbreak using blackra1n (one-click) or PwnageTool (custom firmware creation, more configurable, fixes problems some people have had with blackra1n...but requires you to do a restore using the custom firmware it creates). Either will work fine, whether you upgraded to 3.1 or had it factory installed.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Pwnage Tool 3.1.4 has an option to just jailbreak (a "side feature"), no restore required. :)

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

How does this work? I don't see any option to do this in my copy of 3.1.4...

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Unfortunately I haven't used it, just going by what's on the first page of the Dev Team's blog. :)

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

See, I'm pretty sure this doesn't jailbreak without a restore like blackra1n. To jailbreak an unpwned 3GS you go through the process for PwnageTool create the custom ipsw, then restore via iTunes. The side feature adds a step after the ipsw creation: if you tell it that you are not already pwned, it will implement the 24Kpwn only[/i], allowing your iphone to accept the custom ipsw when you restore via iTunes. It does not make changes to your filesystem, install Unix commands, or install Cydia/Icy. You then immediately have to restore from iTunes to complete the jailbreak.

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hmm, I'll have to try it sometime, but I am already jailbroken on 3.0.1 and don't have a desire to change right now. :)

When I read "Note for 3GS users not already jailbroken and stuck at 3.1.x: this version of PwnageTool has a side feature to jailbreak your 3GS. It uses a simple implementation of the usb control msg hole found by chronicdev, geohot, and our very own gray." from their blog, I took that as meaning they are offering a blackra1n type functionality.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But there is no option like that in the software. Look for yourself.

I felt the same way you did about sticking with 3.0.1, but I'm very glad I went to 3.1.2 with the 5.11.07 baseband. It greatly improved reception and GPS accuracy.