Confused on moving iPhotos to new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigjakex3, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bigjakex3 macrumors newbie

I had an old macbook that I was backing up with time machine. I traded for a new MBP and tried to reload the old photos and iTunes. When I ran the migration assistant, it put in the programs such as office but no photos. I manually imported by starting the iPhoto on the new MBP and selecting the most recent iPhoto file on the backup disc. Now all the photos are much smaller in size and resolution. What is a better way to import using the existing time machine backup to get the full resolution of the photos. I still have the time machine from the old MB.

Also, when it did the original import, it made multiple copies of the pictures.

Thanks for the help.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Did you run migration during the set up process or after creating a user account on the new Mac? I am thinking the latter. Assuming the version of iPhoto you had on the older system was compatible with the one on your new system, iPhoto should have asked you to upgrade the library on first launch and unless there was a problem with the library to begin with it would just open. From the :apple: menu, select log out and if you see another account there with your name, log in and try opening iPhoto to see if you see what I described above.

3. bigjakex3 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, I did skip the initial setup and import. I then ran the migration assistant later. When I log out there is only one log in with my name on it plus one for guest. I think the one on the new computer is a different name than the previous computer though. Should I create a new profile on the NewMBP with the old log in name?

What if I just create a new iPhoto library using the hold down option bottom at iPhoto startup?