Confused on phone decision

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derekuda, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Hey All,
    heres the thing. i have an Android (LGG5) for my personal phone and an iPhone 5S for work. My LGG5 recently broke. Now im thinking about switching back to an iPhone for my personal phone. I'm just not sure what i want. Both platforms have good positives and bad negatives. Would having an iPhone 7 be a huge upgrade from my current 5S that i use for work?

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

short answer:yes

but check it out in person for the size difference.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Absolutely iPhone 7 would be huge upgrade over your 5S. First off, the screen size is different. Then you factor in how thin the iPhone 7 is and the dual speakers, hapric home button, upgraded camera, better battery life, etc. Not to mention the iPhone 7 is significantly faster over the 5S.

4. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

I had a 5S for work then it got exchanged for a 6. There's a huge difference jost from going to 6, so a 7 would be a great leap. The new form factor is so cool once you get used to the feel in hand, and the screen looks painted on

5. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Go for iPhone SE or iPhone 6S/6S Plus more VFM product than iPhone 7

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Almost everything else you said is true (excluding the home button, which is not necessarily an advantage and something you might have to get used to to enjoy) but thinness isn't an advantage for the iPhone 7. The difference between the two is only half a millimeter. A credit card is thicker than that.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Hard to say because we don't know your usage habits. On paper it's a far superior phone. In practice, if all you do is Facebook and text (for example) you aren't going to notice a huge change in your overall experience, barring the better screen.

I personally don't see the point in keeping two iPhones when given the chance to have two platforms (and my work phone is an android device), butnthays hinestlynjust personal preference.

Might be worth a reminder that the SE is essentially an updated 5s. It's also a few $100 cheaper. In case that is enticing.

8. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

I went from a 5s to a 7, biggest upgrade is the screen size for me .. going back to the 5s recently when I sent my 7 off for repair the screen size seems small and pokey after using the 7 especially with man sized hands :D
    The 5s also seems generally very laggy after using a 7 (something you don't notice until you use a 7 then go back to a 5s) but turning on reduced motion fixes that.

I would say it's a worthy upgrade.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The home button can be an advantage, because it allows for the user to have the feedback if desired and it provides a quicker response with less travel when pushing down for a response or action on the previous home button. You have to use the Haptic home button after while to really appreciate it. But it is quicker when tasking to different pages or applications, again, being it's not a push any more, as it is a press.

The thinness of the iPhone 7 may not necessarily be an advantage over the SE to some, but; the curved design does. Holding the iPhone 7 has a much more refined and smooth textured feeling than the SE.

One of the reasons I sold my SE, was due to the edginess of the overall design. THe chasiss and holding the SE almost felt unfinished, where it was almost jaggy if you will along the sides. Holding the iPhone 7 is so smooth and contours so well to my hand.

The SE uses the more boxy design, where the iPhone 7 is more supple and conforms better. (Which everyone will differ.)

And a credit card thicker or not, I think it's how people perceive the two iPhones when physically seeing them side by side, where holding them now comes down to preference.

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

But see, where you may prefer the new home button after using it, it's not something you can miss before trying it and it offers no functional advantage over the old home button. In fact, it's actually less functional as you can't press it through most gloves.

Everything else is just personal preference. I could argue that the rounded edges, especially coupled with the larger size, of the iPhone 7 make it more slippery and harder to hold, or that many people prefer the design of the iPhone SE over the 7, but my entire point was that you can't really say the iPhone 7 has an advantage in thinness because the difference is negligible.

11. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

The question to ask yourself is do you prefer iOS to android? The 7 will be all around an improved experience on the same operating system your work phone is running. I noticed you chose android as your personal phone last time around. Did you enjoy it?

12. Relentless Power, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

THe home button has a quicker response time as stated previously, it's a press over a push. I'm not arguing the functionality, when in fact it's a convenience factor. Rather it be convenient or not to you, is your decision. It has far less travel than the previous button and it's quicker. Plenty of reads exist on the changes with the solid state button for reference.

And if you use a case on your iPhone 7, it also allows the Haptic feedback to be adjusted between 1-3, where the Haptic sensation can be experienced through the case and provide the user with a stronger feedback. Preference, soley depends on usage of the iPhone user.

@Channan quoted "In fact, the solid state home button is less Functional than the previous home-button." Really? Were you aware the solid state button has a emergency function to tap on the screen if the solid state button fails To allow access? Does the previous generation home button have an emergency home button access if it fails and denying access for the user to gain entry to the home screen? If it doesn't, then your "Fact" isn't fact at all. From my understanding, if the push home Button fails on the previous iPhone , then the user receives an "Error 53" code read on the screen, rendering the iPhone bricked until serviced.

Gloves....please don't bring the gloves into this. Yes, I understand it's no longer a function. But please don't provide some altered dismay that the gloves feature is a make it or break it feature. It was an advantage in colder climates, but it doesn't and will not be considered a "Non-Buy" for iPhone users. Plus, there are several rant threads on this already and I certainly don't want to argue any more gloves complaints.

I know you mentioned a credit card difference in thickness. But, that's not how it's perceived through appearance and tactile aesthetic and feel. Naturally, the SE will feel thicker based on the design. It's boxy, square like and edgey. Your claim may be accurate on the thickness, I'm not arguing that, but no one is thinking this way, because it doesn't appear this way because of the chassis design with the SE having an overhauled design in the hand and appearance. Where the iPhone 7 appears thinner, even if the differences are negated.

And even so, the iPhone 7 is thinner regardless, millimeter or not, my original point still exists. Rather it be noticeable, likely not. Which originates back to tactile feel. No one is pulling out a micrometer to assess the difference. It's the subconscious thinking when holding both iPhones, when one would easily assume the iPhone 7 feels thinner based on design. It really comes down to the Touch and feel.

Anecdotal Theory: Take both the iPhone 7 and iPhone SE/5s. Take five random individuals (Android or iPhone) and have them handle and feel both iPhones for certain tasks, I.e, texting, making calls and holding one handed or two handed for a duration. Then, take those five same individuals and ask them which iPhone feels thinner. I'm willing to wager 4/5 of those individuals would say the iPhone SE feels thicker based over the iPhone 7. Why? Because of the design and chasiss. Sure, the iPhone 7 may be more slippery or the SE may feel more boxy like, but.....T/L-D/R, is because it's based on feel, size and design.

Yes, once could pose the iPhone 7 is slippery with the contoured texture, which I have read many times customers stating it's has slipped out of their hand. All user based error unfortunately.

13. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

Agree the iphone 7 home button is noticeably quicker than the 5s home button partucularly when used to unlock the phone via fingerprint.
    I don't wear mittens either so that's not a problem :D

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Quicker response time? Are you sure you're not confusing that with processor speed? Even if that's true, the speed is negligible. You'd probably have to use a slow motion camera to capture the difference.

You're saying using it with gloves is not a make or break feature (which I never even said it was by the way, just pointed out that it is an advantage of the old home button) but then you're acting like less travel is such a huge deal. It's not even a small deal. Never once have I ever heard someone complain about how far they have to push down on the old home button.

I would like to retract my original statement, though. The new home button does have one advantage over the old one. It's not as easy to break. That's it. Not less travel. Not faster speeds. Just less prone to breaking.

And the advantage of the old one is being able to use it with gloves.

Neither are make or break. Neither are huge features. And the new home button is not on the list of reasons you should buy an iPhone 7.
    You're coming from a 2013 phone with a first gen Touch ID sensor to a 2016 one with a three year newer processor and second gen Touch ID. Of course everything is going to be quicker.

If you tried the iPhone 6s after using your 5s, you'd feel the same way. :p

15. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

Possibly yes ..However the op wants to know if it's worth going from a 5s to a 7 so my comparison is relevant here ;) ... ignoring the fingerprint part the non physical button does seem quicker generally but again it could be lag from an older slower phone with the 5s I won't argue about that, I've never compared with a 6s button. Cheers

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's definitely worth going from a 5s to a 7. We were just having a discussion about the two different types of home buttons.

17. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

Yeah I got that part.. but I didn't want the op to feel left out on his own thread ;)
    Agree 5s to a 7 is definitely worth it, 6 to a 7 maybe worth it, 6s to a 7?? Hmmm I'd probably wait for the 7s/8

18. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah you are right,doesn't make any sense upgrading from iPhone 6S