Confused on what do with iMac purchased off eBay with failed graphics card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Starry, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Starry macrumors member

Starry

Hello,
    I haven't come on here for a few years. I recently purchased a early 2009 24'' iMac off of a seller on eBay. The only listed problem was a yellow tinted screen, and it was listed as fully functioning. It was sold as-is for parts or repair. Once it arrived, it worked great and the yellow tint was barely noticeable. Right when I bought it, I went on youtube for about an hour to test the quality out. It then froze and was non-responsive so I restarted it which solved the problem. This was a trend that followed for the rest of the week, except some pixels started showing up. The worst case I saw(2x) was when the screen began flashing uncontrollably nonstop, so badly that you had to look away or else you would get a major headache. It could be seizure inducing. I took it to my local Apple store and was told that it was definitely my graphics card failing. The computer has the upgraded NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB. I was told it wouldn't last me more than a year before progressively getting worse to the point of becoming obsolete. The seller offered me a full refund(I am not sure if that would include shipping) or a 25% partial refund off about $295(w/o $50 shipping). I really love this computer but I know I probably shouldn't keep it. I am an incoming college student majoring in computer science and my early 2011 15" MBP lasted me all of high school but it has had extreme graphics issues as well. Apple has generously covered the repairs of two logic board replacements but the problems still remain. It is too slow to use so I have been using the iMac a lot more. It serves my needs right now but I still don't want to lose my money so quickly. Apple has offered me a 20% discount off a new rMBP due to my many troubles with my MBP and I plan on using that soon. I would still like to have this iMac as a side computer. It works fine for a few hours if I just surf the web and do coding. I understand that I made a mistake buying this computer. What would you do? Keep the computer or get a partial refund? How long will the GPU last before it becomes obsolete? Thanks!

2. Starry thread starter macrumors member

Starry

Well this is crappy. After about an hour of use, it becomes extremely pixelated. I restarted it 3 times and it still is doing the same thing. Looks like I gotta return it. :(

3. mlody macrumors 6502a

If you have any kind of buyer protection via eBay or PayPal, I would suggest to use it and return it if possible. It seems like the system might not be worth the hassle that it might give you down the road.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote above:
    [[ It was sold as-is for parts or repair. Once it arrived, it worked great and the yellow tint was barely noticeable. ]]

What did you expect, from a product that was advertised with the above disclaimer?

You may have a difficult time returning it.
    Was it advertised as "returns not accepted"?

I have no direct experience as a seller on ebay, but I sense that is an arbitration of the dispute, ebay may not automatically side "with the buyer" in this instance...

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Seller offered full refund.

Also while ebay may not side with buyer, PayPal almost always does no matter what you put in the description.

I had a phone sold on eBay. It was brand new still in the shrink wrap. The phone was list as new and no warranty or return except that which is provided by the manufacturer. DOA devices must be returned to the manufacturer.

Buyer tried to say it was opened and DOA when he received it. I denied the return and he eventually went back to the manufacturer but not before filing a paypal claim. After 3 weeks PayPal sided with the buyer but of course it was already resolved but my funds had been held up for a month.

Always a risk selling on eBay. But sometimes it's the best choice.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Hello Starry,

Sorry to hear that you have problems with this iMac.
    As the computer "was listed as fully functioning" and at the same time "was sold as-is for parts or repair" I would opt for the refund.

Good luck!

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Two options I would consider: 1) If you don't want to be bothered with the repair, definitely return it for full refund. 2) If the repair cost + purchase price still make it a very inexpensive purchase for a 2009 used iMac. Take the partial refund and get the GPU repaired. You will easily get another 3-5 years out of that computer.

9. Starry thread starter macrumors member

Starry

The seller has offered a full refund thankfully.

----------

Like I said, it was listed as FULLY FUNCTIONING and I confirmed with the seller that the issue was the yellow tinted screen. Returns are accepted. Please read before you comment; I understand I've made a mistake. We all make mistakes and this was a small one.

----------

Man, that stinks! I'm sorry about your experience... I hate how some just abuse the system like that...

----------

It was a confusing listing, for sure. And thanks! I'll need it :p

----------

I really love the computer but with the repair, it would cost me $700+ and I could just buy a newer machine. I paid around $350 so it is the same cost to get it repaired. I feel like every Mac I touch ends up needing a new logic board(*ahem* 2011 MBP)

10. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Return it ASAP, the eBay seller sold you a piece of junk. Good luck.

11. Starry thread starter macrumors member

Starry

Returned it today, wasn't worth losing $350 on that piece of crap...

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It is good news, Starry.
    Now the adventure begins to find a new computer. ;)

13. Starry thread starter macrumors member

Starry

Heh, hopefully Apple will fix my MBP... For the 3rd time. I will always love iMacs though...

14. goMac macrumors 603

Just in case you didn't know, Apple has a brand new recall on that Macbook Pro open, and they'll fix it for free.

With the recall, it's possible they'll be better able to fix this issue this time.

Edit: Looks like you're already on it!