Confused on what I need...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cynics, Jul 7, 2013.

1. cynics macrumors G3

I want a certain setup but I'm not exactly sure what I need and I'm hoping I can give you guys my scenario and maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I own an iPhone and an iPad 3. I want an iMac and ATV. I want to be able to stream high quality video from the iMac in my office to my HDTV in my living room. Also mirror and do all the cool stuff Mavericks will offer.

Its confusing to me because I want flawless playback so I'm figuring I should wait for the next iMac with .11ac. It gets a little tougher because the router is in the living room and putting it in the office is not an option hence waiting for a .11ac equipped iMac.

So what would I need to do? I'm thinking a .11ac equipped Airport device in the living room connected to my router along with the ATV then a .11ac equipped iMac in the office? Is that right? Can you even connect an ATV via Ethernet for mirroring through the router (like a PlayStation 3 with streaming) or does it need to use wifi? If so since it only does .11n then is all this effort a waste of time?

Or am I over thinking this and there is a better way of doing this?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks.

Like I mentioned having the iMac and the router wired is impossible. And I wasn't sure if when you streamed wirelessly if you could do that to the airport to use .11ac with the ATV wired to that. Instead of it streaming directly to the ATV which only supports .11n...

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Couple of questions?

What is the source of your video? Internet or on your computer? Bought from Apple or somewhere else.

There are so many complex issues that it is hard to tell what is perfect for you.

So there's 2 ways the tech works. The highest quality depends on the source and method.

Netflix - if your Internet speed slows down, they switch you to a lower quality stream.

If you rip your own DVDs or Blu-Rays or buy from iTunes , and stream from to the AppleTV, they'll stay they same quality as the original file..

It's all a little complicated, PM me if you want more info or check out the AppleTv home av forum.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've never seen a house that couldn't have network cables run between rooms. Difficult? Yes in some case but never impossible.

However, if you don't want the trouble or expense of running actual cable put Airport Extremes in the living room and office and bridge them via 802.11ac and connect the devices with ethernet. Should give you adequate speed.

6. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks.

I basically don't want to be limited regardless of what I do. Especially when it comes to Maverick's and mirroring and I decide I want to use my iMac to game on the HDTV by mirroring or play a bluray quality video. That's assuming .11ac is fast enough for that at all.

Streaming Netflix/Crunchyroll/Hulu Plus will be done via the ATV. Not really concerned with that since it would be hardwired into the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. I just wasn't sure if the data delivered from the iMac was capable of going thru the Airport to the ATV utilizing .11ac and not straight to the ATV and using .11n.

----------

While not impossible its not practical. Its a condo that neither the entertainment system nor the desk that the iMac will be on are against walls. Its also hardwood flooring on a concrete slab. Only thing possible that I could think of is tearing up the floors and routing grooves cleverly into a path for wiring.

Now you say Airport ExtremeS (plural)? Meaning I'd need two? I was figuring waiting for the next iMac that hopefully has .11ac built in. Is my understanding of the technology incorrect?

Thanks.