Confused on What Notebook to Purchase for College

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MNapples, Jun 11, 2013.

  1. MNapples macrumors newbie

    Jun 11, 2013
    Hey all, sorry to contribute to the multitude of posts about this whole WWDC predicament, but I was also one who was banking on Apple refreshing their retina line of Macbook Pro's with the new Haswell processor. Since that obviously didn't happen, I'm left questioning what to do. My current 13" Mid-2009 Macbook Pro's hard drive is almost full, and the machine is very slow and can barely run Photoshop, edit videos, play games, etc. I was looking at receiving the 2.7 GHz 15" rMBP as a graduation gift from my parents, which I will take with me to college to keep in my dorm, using an iPad to take notes in class and utilize for all my portable computing needs. But, since Apple has failed to update the notebook, I'm questioning whether or not to make the purchase seeing as it will probably see an update in the fall. My first semester starts in late August and I would rather have the computer before school starts so that I can migrate all my files over to it and become acquainted with it before the school year. I am looking for a computer powerful enough to run my Adobe suite, Final Cut Pro, Logic or Cubase, and occasionally run some games like Starcraft 2 or League of Legends. I need a large SSD since my music library is composed mainly of ALAC files. I am just concerned that I might be overbuying, but this system has to last me through my four years at college. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
  2. B... macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2013
    You do need a 15" for those uses, but I do not think they will be updated by August. The base model 15" rMBP should be fine, although you may want to bump the RAM to 16GB. Or you could think about refurbs. A 2012 2.3GHz, 8GB, 256 costs $1599.
  3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Dec 21, 2011
    Based on your needs and since your original plan was a MBP15 I'd stick to that. It wold be nice to have the mobility a rMBP13 will provide as you hop across campus though.

    To get it now or wait however... is something you're going to have to decide on your own.
  4. MNapples thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 11, 2013
    I won't be needing to carry it around campus with me, that's what the iPad is for :D However, even if I did have to take it with me somewhere, I doubt the 15" would be that big of a burden to take with me. The thing I'm contemplating most is whether or not it is worth it to wait for the refresh...
  5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603


    Jun 30, 2008
    How is a 15" MBP not portable, especially in an area as small as a college campus?
  6. iPoopeh macrumors regular


    Aug 7, 2010
    I say get the 15" rMBP. That shall be perfect for your needs. And no need to wait for the update. You're like me at this point. Also going to college late August, so I say buy now and enjoy! ^ ^
  7. MNapples thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 11, 2013
    Does anyone know if there are still ghosting issues with the displays of the retina models?
  8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Dec 21, 2011
    It's a beast compared to the MBP13. Cramped desk.

    It's a long 4 years.
  9. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

    Feb 23, 2011
    Get an external drive now and start removing files from you mac.
    Maybe re-image it and keep that one until the refresh.

Share This Page