Confused Over Band Price

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jedi012, May 18, 2015.

1. Jedi012 macrumors newbie

Why are the prices for the Milanese Loop band and the Link Bracelet band so far apart?

In comparing the two, they are both made of stainless steel, intended for the Apple Watch ("standard" edition), and made by Apple.

Given the above, to me, it would seem logical to have the Milanese Loop and the Link Bracelet at a similar price point. As it stands right now, in terms of increasing price, you go from sports band to SS band, to leather bands and then back to SS.

Is anyone else as surprised by this as I am?

For reference:

$49 Sports Band
    $149 Milanese Loop
    $149 Black Classic Buckle
    $149 Leather Loop
    $249 Modern Buckle
    $449 Link Bracelet

2. BradDylan, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

BradDylan macrumors member

From apple.com

"LINK BRACELET

Crafted from the same 316L stainless steel alloy as the case, the Link Bracelet has more than 100 components. The machining process is so precise, it takes nearly nine hours to cut the links for a single band. In part that’s because they aren’t simply a uniform size, but subtly increase in width as they approach the case. Once assembled, the links are brushed by hand to ensure that the texture follows the contours of the design. The custom butterfly closure folds neatly within the bracelet. And several links feature a simple release button, so you can add and remove links without any special tools. Available in stainless steel and space black stainless steel."

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't know if you know or not but the link bracelet is a very unique band in that you're able to take links off yourself without any tool whatsoever. Apple I'm sure put in some work in developing this link.

Up to this point, no other link bracelet has ever given us that type of control without going to a jeweler. I'm sure this has something to do with the price.

Plus the clasp is rather innovative too if I remember correctly.

4. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Have we heard if Apple will ever stock extra links?

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Steel doesn't equal expensive, and leather doesn't equal cheap.

The link bracelet by Apple is a feat of engineering, the Milanese Loop isn't.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How so? It's a butterfly clasp seen on many link bracelets.