Confused!! Please advise!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by syd8in, Nov 15, 2007.

1. syd8in macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    Iam a complete Mac newbie. Iam from India and there are not many Mac/Apple experts here whom I can consult. I plan to purchase my 1st ever Mac(laptop). Though I know that there are innumerable threads on MBP vs MB, I couldn't really decide(whether to go for MBP or just MB) after going through a few of those threads. So, please do help me by answering few of my questions:

1) I use a computer for E-mails, Browsing, Photos, Chatting, Games(such as FIFA and other games that require decent/normal graphics), Work( such as Word, Excel,PPT kind of requirements), Music and Movies. So do i go for MBP or MB, since the cost and size are also a major criteria for me.

2) Will all new MB's/MBP's come pre-loaded with the newest OS X 10.5.1 that has been released?

3) Are there any major problems that have been reported for the new SR MB/MBP with Leopard?

4) Will the new MB's/MBP's come with Penryn or will the Penryn processor make an appearance with the next upgrade(total) of the Macbook?

5) Is it advisable to purchase iWork'08?? Or is there any other similar application in MB's that come along with it(i.e one which need not be purchased separately or one that isn't a trial version)??

6) Are the Nokia E-series mobiles compatible with Leopard?

7) Battery wise, which one is better MB or MBP?

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

1) a MB would be fine for all of these except for gaming, which I don't know much about. I'm assuming it'd be playable with its new integrated graphics, but since I don't even know what FIFA is, don't take my word for it.

2) It would definitely come with Leopard, although I'm not sure if it'd come with the new update. You can always just download it.

3) Not that I'm aware of. There was an issue with the LED screens of MBPs earlier on, but that seems to be solved.

4) No, the MB/MBP will come with SR. They probably won't get Penryn until January of next year or even later for the MBs.

5) The MB/MBP will come with Text Edit. You can always just use the trial version of iWork 08 and buy it later if you like it. You can also download OpenOffice or NeoOffice as they're free. Then there's always MS Office.

6) Not familiar with that specific model, perhaps check with their website?

7) The MB has better battery life and Wifi signal/range, but the MBP isn't too far behind in battery life now since it has LED screens.

Overall, I'd recommend a MB for your usages unless they're problems with gaming. It'd fit all your other needs perfectly. Use your extra money on ram, bigger hd or external hd and maybe a monitor instead.

3. syd8in thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for the advice!!! You have been a great help!! This has definitely reduced my dilemma.
    FIFA is a soccer video game by EA Sports. I was told that games(like FIFA) which require only normal graphics will work on MB. Maybe if somebody can confirm that, I can then decide for sure!!!

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^^^
    You're welcome! You should probably check out the Gaming forum to see how well games run on the MB and talk to other gamers. Many members says that World Of Warcraft runs fine on the last generation MB if that's relevant.
    Also, forgot to add, you can always run Windows if you need it. So even if your cell phone isn't compatible, you can boot into Windows for the times you need to connect it. Or there's always Parallel. Games run better in Windows anyways.