Confused, Please help me MBP LAST GEN / NEW GEN

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MatLane, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Well

I'm still stuck on weather to get the new entry macbook pro or the old gen

I have found a really good price for a old gen one on play.com

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/52338...-X-v10-5-Leopard-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html (Brand New)

see what you think
    But im a little worried. if i buy this old gen am i going to face problems with compatibility and what not. With a lot of products. When a new one is out it has all the latest technology and features and is the standard i suppose. I worried things are going to stop working with the old one and im going to end up paying money when i could of payed an extra 100 pound for the new one.

The question is, is it safe to buy the last gen?

Thanks guys and hope your all well
    ML

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums, you'll find dozens of threads on the old vs new MBP, filled with opinions and recommendations. However, compatibility is not an issue, since both the old and new MBP run Mac OS X 10.5. They have the same applications and can do exactly the same thing.

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yes, it's safe to buy the last gen. In fact, the last gen is more "pro", has MORE features and so on.
    The only thing the new one is better at, and looks to be aimed at, is gaming. If that's your main thing, yes, you should buy the glassbook. But then again, you should buy a pc instead in that case.

4. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Na, it will be used for day to day tasks, music, Cubase and logic ect

Photo editing

I have a desktop at home which is ok for gaming so i use that

Cheers mate

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

No problem.
    If you use audio interfaces the old one is the only one to get. First of all it has both Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 – the new one only has a single port (the Fw800-one), and to make matters worse with the new one, Apple have reintroduced the Agere Firewire chipset, which is substandard compared to the Texas Instruments chipset in the last gen.

Oh, and in the old one, you get matte - not some idiotic double glossy screen.

6. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Cheers man, thanks for that

Has helped me there as i do use audio inter and things like that

Thanks

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Get the refurb model; better price by far, tested and tried, all glitches ironed out, and comes with Apple's warranty.
    Cheers