Confused...Quad Core...8 Core..?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jota73, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

Well, after searching the web for the best price I got confused on the available options:

I see at Apple Store Mac Pros are: 8-core performance, up to 3.2GHz, is available with two Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Then I see at bhphotovideo a Macpro listed fot 2304 which says 2.8GHz Quad Core System.

Are both the same? Why using at apple store Quad as well as the other item listed it bhpotovideo? I believe both are different models, am I right?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Its is possible to order a Mac Pro 2008 with only one CPU (imho its not worth it as upgrading later is a pain in the arrse).

THe model in the link appears to be the 2008 model (cant say if its a single CPU from the description but the price may suggest so (I am not too familiar with US prices as we get stuffed in the UK))

The systems are available in 2.8, 2.0 and 3.2GHz combination's with one or two CPUs (4 or 8 cores in total)

hope this clears it up for you (also if you goto apple.com and buy online you can play with the options available - without actually buying if needed)

3. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

thanks... so means that Quad would mean one processor (2.8) whilst 8 core, would be a 2. 2.8Ghz ... am I right? So if I add another 2.8Ghz processor instead of Quad would turn into a 8 core??

BTW, you said that upgrading processor in a macpro is a pain.... is it that difficult? why?

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

upgrading is a pain due to a) cost (you need to order the apple part and have them do it)

b)if you can find one on your own - finding the correct cooler is tricky (not impossible)

c) if you are not technically minded then it isn't for the faint of heart (easy job for us techies but there are risks)

d) resale - makes the Mac Pro less valuable when it comes to resale (they are designed as 8core machines and should be that way. period)

:)

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I call shenanigans on that one. The logic board in the 4-core model is IDENTICAL to the 8-core counterpart. I really don't see where the "designed differently" part comes from. As long as an identical processor and heatsink are installed into the vacant socket, you'll have a machine that's identical in performance and value to a machine that started out as an 8-core. You make it seem like this is akin to putting a 3rd-party CPU upgrade card in an old Power Mac G4.

Now on the other hand, Apple charges $500 for the 2nd processor. At least currently, you won't find a Harpertown 2.8GHz CPU for anything close to that price by itself, not to mention the additional cost and hassle of purchasing the proper cooling system. So from there, it becomes the question of whether one can really justify needing 8 cores at some point during the life of the machine versus perhaps needing that extra $500 to buy additional hardware and/or software instead.

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I never said they were different - I said they are designed as 8core machines, (and they are hence the dual CPU socket layout).

I agree if you don't need the 8 cores then it may be a good idea but consider that the standard load out of a Mac Pro is 2 CPU's it makes sense to have that from day one.

I guess it's up to the end user but in my mind I see it as ordering a Twin Turbo Supra and asking the dealer to supply it with only one turbo active (or fitted).

I agree with the Apple supplied CPU bit tho - its not expensive at all. :)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I just saw a thread a few days ago, that the UK version of a Mac Pro (2008 base model) with Apple Care for £1468.75 ($2,574.56 USD) is less than the US Education store ($2599USD)! :eek:
    Almost the same, but Apple Care is better than any stinking iPod. :D Especially if it breaks. :eek:

Granted, it's part of the education discount, but still... ;) :p

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Just remember that it was $100 more expensive two weeks ago and $200 more a month ago.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't you mean "heat-sink"?
    The cooler itself, is already built into the front fans.:rolleyes:

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Heat-sink, cooler, thermal by-product removal system - whatever you want to call it (although in the case of a CPU it is more accurately a passive cooling system (Heat-sink); the fact that there is an active cooling system in the front of the case doesn't alter the primary function of the HS) :p

semantics - I say Potato you say potato lol

:D <never intend to be sarcastic, just let the sentence flow....> :D

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least it's dropping. ;)
    I've always been under the impression products usually cost more than in the US, add the VAT, and then it gets ugly. :eek: Which is why I was surprised to find the info in the linked thread.

Would this be the case?

At least the UK offers better, stylish autos. No fair! :D :p

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yes normally products are more expensive pre-tax and of course our 17.5% trumps any sales tax levied in the US.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Warning: The following information may make you feel sick.

Usually, I can make an online purchase, and the final cost is product + shipping. :eek: :D :p
    In the US, some states are just beginning to tax mail order, but it's not the majority. Yet, anyway. ;)