Confused re. Thunderbolt accessories

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eladnova, Jan 22, 2014.

1. eladnova macrumors member

I read that Thunderbolt technology supports daisy chaining peripherals.
    Recently I started looking at TB external drives but most only have a single TB port. How exactly does that support linked devices or do I need a TB hub and starfish devices off that?

2. simsaladimbamba

Daisy chaining does only work with TB peripherals with two TB ports, but sadly some such peripherals only come with one TB port, thus making it impossible to daisy chain from that device and only use it as last item in a chain or via such hub.
    You probably have to look for peripherals with two TB ports in order to circumvent an additional hub.

3. Moonloop macrumors member

Moonloop

Thunderbolt

Western Digital's Thunderbolt Duo range come with 2 TB ports for daisy-chaining
    And various 1-8 TB sizes . I keep iTunes and Aperture libraries on there .

M

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As stated, you either need to get (or use) TB devices that have 2 or more ports for daisy chaining or use a hub which are very expensive at the moment.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Thunderbolt hub. Unlike a multiport USB hub, you cannot create a multiport TB hub in to which you plug multiple devices. Same deal with FireWire. No such thing as a hub. If the device you've got only has one port, then it has to be at the end of the chain.

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

RE: no FireWire Hub -- not true

Belkin has had a 6-port FireWire hub for quite some time:
    http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5U526-APL/

You are correct for Thunderbolt, though. Architecture has no provisions for splitters or hubs.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have one too. Not the same thing though. We're talking about TB multipliers like a multi-port USB hub. Can't do that with TB.

----------

Interesting. Never saw that. FW-400 only though.

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Guess I never need one, though I can only imagine the bottleneck if you tried to access data over more than a couple of those ports at the same time. After using an eSATA RAID over the last year, I was amazed at how slow FireWire 800 was on my old iMac after needing to connect a hard drive a couple weeks ago.