Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btx926

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
So, I am a software engineer and long entrenched Windows and Linux user. I have a monster of a windows 7 box under my desk (great machine), but I feel like I should have a Mac sitting around too, mainly as a development tool. That said, it is quite likely that I will do some Garage Band and if I like OSX, I may actually use it as a "primary" machine. I game on my Windows monster, and don't see that really changing.

I've narrowed the choices down between the:
mid-range 2011 mini
low end 27" iMac

I have a nice LCD (although it is much lower res than the iMac, and focused on speed for gaming), mouse and keyboard for my windows box -- so the redundancy of the iMac is a bit of a bummer when I can't use the monitor for my windows box (really, Apple? Why is there always a reason NOT to buy Apple products even when I want to? Grrrrr). That said, the monitor is glorious, and would be nice on a box I anticipate being a devbox/general workhorse.

There is a possibility that neither of these will work for me -- if that's the case, I'll sell them after I figure that out. So, resale value matters here to me a little.

Any advice/factors other than this I should think of? Thanks for any advice.

dixie8123

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2010
Charleston, SC
Depends on your budget. If you care about looks and have a high budget, go for the iMac. If you are on a budget, go with the Mini, and for looks sake, invest in a Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.