confused whats going on with 4.1 jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ansabakhan, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

sorry but i have read many posts and i am just confused , what is going on with jailbreaking ... its out but there is some thing about it poeple are not liking .. can some one please explain me if its OK to jailbreak my iphone 4 4.1 ...what will i lose if i do .

2. leftyno9 macrumors regular

most people are reporting no problems at all, me included

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so what is going on is it safe to jailbreak?

4. TehReaper macrumors regular

yes it's a 100% safe to upgrade Now if you have your 4.0.1 shsh saved then you might wanna do the tiny umbrella trick to save your 1.59.00 baseband. Ofcourse that's only if you want to unlock it and sell it later on.

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Worst case scenario it screws up and you have to restore and potentially try the jb again but it's not going to brick your phone or anything. Yeah software was buggy, has been reported as pretty stable as of beta 4. Most of the other people who won't use it are just holding a grudge against geohot, warranted or not it's their choice. Even when greenpoison is released it will use the same exploit and jailbreak, you are just going to have a different tool to use to perform the jb.

6. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

7. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

As I understand it A, JBing is not & can not damage your phone.

The worst you can do is lose youre settings &/or personal information but if you are wise, you will backup everything & use Tiny Umbrella before you JB.

I personally have not used it & I am dying too, but it started out very buggy as you can probably tell by all the post here since last night. And since Im going out of town on business tomorrow I just didnt have time to work thru' the bugs & potentially have a non-working phone on my trip.

But as soon as I get back Ill be all over it.

Some of us think one thing or another about this or that developer & all thats just drama & excitement that will be over soon.

Dont let it stop you from JBing your phone. Itll all work out & youll have a great experience.. Good Luck! :D

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

is it wise to wait few days ???

also i have a phone which is already on 4.1 (thats how i got it ) i wont lose any thing trying to jailbreak it correct?

9. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It's always wise to wait a few days, though more so on an exploit that was rushed to meet a deadline such as this one. Most are reporting no problems, so it's relatively safe... however the bug thread is filling up quickly.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Sure there might be bugs but you can always restore your phone back to exactly how it was before if the jb gets screwed up. You're not going to lose anything save maybe a few hours if it's buggy

11. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just send your donations to the chronic dev team, and not to egohot.

12. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

LimeRa1n worked perfectly for me.. I'm not going to get involved with this internet fighting going on between sides.. I'm beyond that. If the product is out there, and works, I'll take it, regardless of who put it out there.

13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yeah since they made the jb? Lol comex was the only one to help contribute and he is part of the dev team not cdt so why you would give a bunch of people money who would have screwed us worse than geohot is beyond me.

There is no such thing as a jb that will perma screw your phone up. Might be some bugs but you can always do a restore. Only potential damage you could do is lose your baseband which is not a problem for everyone already on 4.1 anyways

14. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

So, with this new jail break I can update my phone to the newest version and then JB ya? Also, I bought the lockinfo ap, which I love, can I get it back without having to buy it again?

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yes and yes

16. Namysome macrumors newbie

I am interested in unlocking my iPhone. Do I have to save my shsh 1.59.00 baseband before I upgrade to 4.1 and before jailbreaking?

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Shsh and baseband are 2 different things. You can only save shsh that apple is still signing and this will auto be done if you click make my life easy in cydia.

If you want to retain the ability to unlock you need to preserve your baseband while updating to 4.1 then jb and you will be able to unlock still.

18. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

First, Thanks for the help

Second, So, I just need to redownload it or is there a certain thing I need to do?

19. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yeah when I redownloaded lockinfo it just asked for the email and password for the acct I purchased it with and then it validated the license. If you have trouble you can contact David ashman the dev for Li. He is on here and twitter under the name stimpy5050

20. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76