confused with external monitor (screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey, when I want to hook up my MB to an external screen, what cable do I need to get from those two on their website? I mean, I don't knw anything about my screen (it's at home, can't even have a look at it right now), I remember buying it a while ago (4 years?) when ordering parts for my PC. It's a BenQ one, a good quality flatscreen, good response and everything. Now, what's up with the two different types of cables? I do remember my screen having two types of inserts there at the back, and basicaly I think I'm now using the standard one (whatever that is though), so I have one remaining thingie where I am supposed to hook up the mb I suppose? Can someone tell me what cable I should get, if I should get it from the apple site, and when I hook it up to the external monitor, will it mess up my screen settings on the macbook on that higher resolution, or does it 'know' when it's hooked up (and has to run in a different res and use different layout etc..)?

Help is greatly appreciated, I'd like to hook it up to an external display to use with imovie etc...

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

They run at different res's. & u probably just want the mini DVI-VGA or whatever it is that comes with the MB.

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

you're telling me I already received such a cable with my MB?

4. seenett macrumors regular

No, you didn't get a cable with your MB. You need to check your monitor at home to be certain about which cable you need. A four year old monitor might have DVI, might have VGA, or both. This photo is of a video card with both connections - just see what connection your monitor has.

5. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I most certainly have both of those. Which should I pick ?

6. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

DVI without doubt. Its newer and digital...compared to VGA which is old and analogue. You'll get slightly better picture quality and colour (yes im from the UK) representation.

Get the mini DVI -> DVI lead if you're sure you have the DVI out. Of course you'd need a cable to go from the DVI port from your monitor to the DVI port on the apple lead if you dont have one already

As far as resolution settings go, I had to fiddle with mine a bit, not too sure why, as it should do it automatically. But my colour settings on my monitor were WAY off...and it took a good 10-15 mins with the calibration wizard on leopard to fix.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Yep as the above poster said, go with DVI.
    Go to an Apple Store, or by online, an Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter. Once you have this it plugs into the mini-DVI port on the MB and then the DVI cable (if indeed you have one) plugs into this adapter. The other end of the cable goes into the monitor and when you switch it on the MB will detect the external display and setup the resolution and so's pretty easy. One thing you may want to do is change the colour setting under Displays in System Preferences as the preset on mine was well out...
    I received my monitor last week so it's quite fresh in my mind ;)

8. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I'm not getting into the debate as to whether DVI is better than VGA (i know printers who can't tell the difference) but given the cables are around the same price just go with a mini dvi - full if you're sure your screen has DVI in.
    As for your res etc. run it at it's native (ergonomic) res and all will be well. You will want to calibrate the screen as well to ensure you get good colour matching.