Confused with iCloud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macness, Jul 16, 2012.

1. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

Ok so i have an issue with this whole iCloud/ mobile me thing and really need some help.

example:

so i have my apple id: johndoe85@gmail.com password: apple

and now i would like to use mail on iCloud which requires me to make an "@me.com" account. ( soon to be @ i cloud .com)

so on my iPhone i go to settings- iCloud- create @me account

it only asks you to create a username, no password required, so i assume it uses your apple id password.

so i create : johndoe@me.com

( the whole reason i created an @me ,"only to have to switch it to iCloud", was to secure the user name of my choice, being my name is very common and i prefer not to add the 85 at the end just as i did in my gmail account which i use for my apple id)

So then i went to me.come /move and switched to iCloud

but now when i log into iCloud i can use either johndoe85@gmail.com or johndoe@me.com to log in..

I'm so confused??? So now i can log in with both? and my @me.com password has to be the same as my apple id?? And why hasn't it changed to @icloud.com yet???

wt# is going on??:confused::confused::confused:

2. r98266 macrumors member

Go to:

appleid.apple.com and click "Manage Your Account"

this will take you to a log-in page, sign in and it will show you your Primary Apple ID and ALL eMail addresses related to it.

3. macness thread starter macrumors 6502a

macness

4. r98266 macrumors member

I got an @me account when iCloud first came out and I just signed in at appleid.apple.com and saw the @me account and the exact same username @icloud.

Looks like they're making the change from @me to @icloud automatically.

----------

Just to be clear, I've never had MobileMe. I got the @me account when I enabled Mail in iCloud Settings on my iPhone.

5. macness thread starter macrumors 6502a

macness

There is only one more thing bothering me.
    I wanna use my @me email as my new main email adress ( for work and school) So if im understanding this right then that means my @me password will always be the same as my apple id password. Correct? Also, when it Changes to @ icloud.com, does that mean that people can email me at @me.com or @icloud.com and it will just end up in the same mailbox?

6. macness thread starter macrumors 6502a

macness

hhahaah,
    So let me get this straight..
    in order to get an @me or @icloud mail address you first have to create an apple id, but but buuuuutt in order to create an apple id you have to use an email address thats neither of the two. example: GMAIL.
    and then once you've created an apple id using GMAIL uthen have to make an @me or @icloud account to use mail??? Why wouldn't apple just allow you to use one of their domain names as an apple id instead of forcing us to use one one of their competitors?? (GMAIL)

makes nooooo sense whatsoever :confused:

7. r98266 macrumors member

It's a really weird system.. not sure why they do what they do either.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct.

9. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

yeah, people want all email account, which is used under the same email system, is combined with each other. but if email address name is different, you can't. unfortunately, you have to keep that way. I tried it before.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

No. You are given the opportunity to create a new AppleID without an external email account when you first set up an iOS device or a new Mac:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that you, like me, had an AppleID before iOS 5 and OSX Lion were released. That's why one of your login options is to use the gmail address that you originally signed up with. If you were starting from scratch today you would never need to use your gmail address to create an AppleID.

Now that you have created an iCloud email address (with an @me.com extension, soon @icloud.com will be added), you can log in using either your old gmail address or your new @me.com address. To Apple they are the same account.

When @icloud.com addresses are added, it will just become one more alias to your existing account. Email will go into the same inbox as your @me.com address and you will be able to log in using your gmail, @me.com, or @icloud.com email address. To Apple they will all refer to the same AppleID/iCloud account.