Confused with iPhone Contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacBoy, May 22, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

I bought my iPhone 4 on contract with O2, if i wanted to get a different phone (i am 6 months in to a 24 month contract) could i just buy a blackberry on pay as you go, and put my O2 contract sim in it? then sell my iPhone?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm from the US, but I think the same rules apply.

You signed a contract and agreed to pay for the service for the next 24 months, not the phone. So yes you can buy another phone and sell your iPhone and your carrier won't care, as long as you keep making your monthly payments.

Now, if you want another phone at a discounted price then you'll have to wait for your contract to end, but you are free to buy a phone from them now at full retail value or if you can find a cheap version on eBay (or whatever).

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes you can without any issues.

4. P.K. macrumors newbie

You could pick up any phone and use it (you'll need to swap the microsim back to a standard SIM) but selling on the iPhone could be a problem.
    You don't say whereabouts you are but in Ireland if you buy an iPhone on a contract, none of the networks (Vodafone, O2, Three) will unlock the iPhone until your minimum term is finished, 24 months in your case. I think the same applies with the UK network divisions.
    So if you were going to sell on your iPhone, it could possibly be locked to the O2 network with no way of having it officially unlocked while you are still in contract, something to bear in mind!

5. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

okay thanks, but i think you can unlock iPhone as apart of the jailbreak hack? Not sure.. but yeah, I'm just bored of the iPhone, and what a BlackBerry Bold 9780 simply because of BBM and i like the keyboard, but changing i might regret and miss features from iPhone such as easy web browsing and the Music sections etc... not sure though :(

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you want a BB for the sole purpose of BBM, I wouldn't get one. Think about the device in general. Is the BB going to suit your lifestyle? Does it have the features you need to help get through your day? A chat client certainly would not be a selling point for me. (Even though I'm sure a ton of others would completely disagree.) I rather have features that would help me get through my day (Ex amazing web browsing) instead of talking to a few friends which I could do over texting.

If you want a BB, I'd say to buy the blackberry without selling your iPhone. Use the BB for a few days and if you decide you like it better, then sell your iPhone. If you don't, well then you still have your iPhone.