Confused with these specs and speed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by saer1212, Jul 10, 2010.

1. saer1212 macrumors newbie

Hi

Thinking of buying a mac cause the Mac I have has a defect so thinking about somthing more affordable and here r the specs what I am considering.

Powerbook
    Mac OS x 10.5 Leopard
    Power PC G4
    processor speed per core 1.33 GHz
    RAM 768 MB
    Hard drive Capacity 60GB
    primary drive DVD+-RW/CD-RW
    15 inch Mac

I listed below the specs in more detail if it helps u help me.

I am primary a web surfer 90 % of the time but also want to burn and listen to CD and maybe DVD. I want to know if these are my two goals is this computer going to be fast enough to get around or am I getting myself into a very slow system. I am cool with upgrading a bit at a time but cant afford to upgrade immediately. Was told this will run Winidows which is huge 4 me since there is going to be a learning curve and for my own sanity will need to switch back to Windows for a brain break.

Also, I am a former Verizon internet user and moved into a home which has Comcast and was wondering if this was a part of the reason my computer is wicked fast or is it the machine?(I had a very fast PC but it was slow on Verizon. Comcast seems very fast compared to Verizon in surfing the web

Currently going to return a Mac Book which has following: so wondering if I am only surfing the net if I am in for a rude awaking in speed.
    Specs
    13inch
    OS Snow Leopard
    Peocesser Intel Core Duo
    Processor speed 1.8
    Processer Cofigs Dual Core Duo
    Memory 1G
    Hard drive Capacity 80 GB

Here is the one I am thiking of buying and in more detail as stated I would provide more detail in what I want to buy
    Powerbook
    G4
    1.33 GHZ with alti Vec Velocity engine victor processing unit and 512 k on chip level.
    2 Cashe 60GB Ultra ata 100 hard drive 4200
    Please respond 2night as 2morrow may be too late.

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Well, for your needs the PowerBook will do, though you might want to take into account that it's a very outdated machine, and may not last much longer with the growing needs for memory and processor speed most apps require.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You will probably see a decent drop in performance, and that is not a particularly upgradeable computer anymore, as it doesn't use common parts. It will also not run windows, so whoever told you that was mistaken. The PowerPC Macs will not run windows, only Intel based Macs will.

Basically that is a huge downgrade from what you currently have, so I wouldn't recommend it at all.

4. saer1212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is where I am, I understand one person said should support needs but keep in mind its old and parts maybe not available.

Other gentlemen said - bad move-

Funny I talked to the Mac Corporate store last night since I always thought what u said in regards to windows and he told me I was misinformed and if the software was leopard or above u l could run windows. Are they both wrong even Corporate cause this is big to me.

Thanks
    All other thoughtswelcome since I need to make a choice fast.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Powerbooks won't boot into Windows via Bootcamp, and neither will they run Parallels or VMWare, even if they are running Leopard.

Its only option is VirtualPC, which is no longer available or supported, and by all accounts was unusable (I never tried using it).

Why are you returning a MacBook? - it seems perfect for what you've said you're doing. Actually, a cheap PC would be adequate for surfing, listening to CDs or watching DVDs.