Confused

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
Okay I have about 2,000 dollars. That is all of my cash right now. I am 15 by the way. I want a laptop basically because I am used to laptops
okay what should I get. Right now I am pretty set on a 12 inch ibook with an upgraded drive to 80 gb and a built in bluetoth module. This took allot of saving. This is how I got the money I built a website for 500 and did various other jobs for the same guy stuff like sweeping floors. I got about 300 for my birthday. Then I also sold my ti-book thanks dad. It was his old one. I got about a 1000 for that. So I am thinking about buying the ibook and save the rest for other various stuff I might want. What do you guys think I should do. O yah should i get 512 mb of ram from apple or order it somewhere else. I remember there was a thread about outpost ram and people where saying it was pretty good dose anybody have the link to it. Also is it easy to install.

Any help would be much appreciated !!!!!!!
 

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
Is their any reason to spend all of the money or will i do okay with the ibook. If there is a real reason I will spend a bit more..
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
What do you want to do with the laptop? Primary uses? Graphics, video editing, email, Word stuff, etc?
 

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
1,460
0
Texas
well, I would say if you aren't interested in gaming or working with too much rendering or graphics, the iBook should suit you fine.
 

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
276
0
Olde Englande
Unless you really (know that you) need the extra oomph from a powerbook then the 12" iBook sould suit you just fine. Not that the powerbook gives you that much more really anyway. It just costs a whole lot more.

Yes, buy 3rd party RAM and if you can stretch to it, get a 1GB stick (maybe 160 to 200 bucks depending on how the price has fluctuated recently. There is a looong thread about cheap 1GB sticks, as you have found already).

Other things to perhaps consider

- iBook HDs are 4,200 rpm, so if you have a need for speed then maybe invest in a firewire (not USB 2.0) external. You could maybe get by with the 60GB internal HD option if you went this way.

- An external DVD burner too if you need one. Not that you get the choice with 12" iBooks anyway.

- A second monitor (you can enable spanning by way of a safe and reversible firmware hack)

Obviously all this stuff is bought after you get your iBook anyway, so as far as your BTO options go you seem to have it down well already.

Enjoy your new baby :)
 

James Craner

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
1,708
170
Bristol, UK
IDANNY said:
Okay I have about 2,000 dollars. That is all of my cash right now. I am 15 by the way. I want a laptop basically because I am used to laptops
okay what should I get. Right now I am pretty set on a 12 inch ibook with an upgraded drive to 80 gb and a built in bluetoth module. This took allot of saving. This is how I got the money I built a website for 500 and did various other jobs for the same guy stuff like sweeping floors. I got about 300 for my birthday. Then I also sold my ti-book thanks dad. It was his old one. I got about a 1000 for that. So I am thinking about buying the ibook and save the rest for other various stuff I might want. What do you guys think I should do. O yah should i get 512 mb of ram from apple or order it somewhere else. I remember there was a thread about outpost ram and people where saying it was pretty good dose anybody have the link to it. Also is it easy to install.

Any help would be much appreciated !!!!!!!
I would say with your requirements the 12" ibook with the upgrades that you specify it would be an ideal 1st computer. Buy it with the base memory and buy some additional RAM from crucial.com
 

James Craner

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
1,708
170
Bristol, UK
James Craner said:
I would say with your requirements the 12" ibook with the upgrades that you specify it would be an ideal 1st computer. Buy it with the base memory and buy some additional RAM from crucial.com
Actually I have just checked the price difference between an extra 512MB of ram from Apple $150 and crucial $138 is not that great. Someone may be able to suggest a cheaper source, but make sure it has been certified to work with a Mac as Apples are very fussy about the RAM that they will work with, otherwise you may want to keep it simple and buy from Apple.
 

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
deebster said:
- A second monitor (you can enable spanning by way of a safe and reversible firmware hack)
Thanks everyone :) . I have been really confused lately I hope I will order it tomorrow. About that hack does it void my warranty. Do they have any way of knowing if I reverse it. Will it come with a cord to hook it up to an external monitor. I already have an external hardrive so thats cool.

Thanks everyone.
 

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
The ram was unavalble at outpost is there anywhere else I can find a cheap 1gb stick of ram. I remeber thats what I had in my tibook and it ran very well. I would really like to get a gig of ram.
 

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
I was thinking about the car thing but my dad will hopefully take care of that. Also I only turned 15 in December so I have some time till I get my license. I just saw on the apple refurbished store these powerbooks would those be better. Also I cant tell if they come with bluetooth. I like how the powerbook looks more.

Apple Certified PowerBook G4 12-inch TFT

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified
Learn More
• Save 16% off the original price

Original price: $1,599.00
Your price: $1,349.00


Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Add

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified
Learn More
• Save 14% off the original price

Original price: $1,799.00
Your price: $1,549.00


Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
The original post says you only want a laptop 'cause that's what you're use to.

With a $2k budget and without the need for huge power right now I'd be considering a Mac mini and a 20" Cinema Display if I were you.
 

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
496
0
IDANNY said:
I was thinking about the car thing but my dad will hopefully take care of that. Also I only turned 15 in December so I have some time till I get my license. I just saw on the apple refurbished store these powerbooks would those be better. Also I cant tell if they come with bluetooth. I like how the powerbook looks more.
All the powerbooks come with bluetooth built right in now and an airport extreme card (ibooks have the airport extreme but not the bluetooth: $50 add-on). For me it'd be worth a bit extra to get the aluminum shell and the DVI out with dual-monitor support right out of the box. Plus, the keyboard on the powerbooks is vastly superior to the ibook keyboard. If you can go to an apple store (or CompUSA) and test-drive, you'll be able to see if this is as big a deal for you as it is for me.
 

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2003
776
0
Las vegas
I am still confused now
I am thinking about a car to :p I am not really.
I dont need the book right away I have an old ibook I am using so everything is cool. I just really want it. I have been waiting for like 2 months and unsure what to do. I hope there is some sort of revision to the powerbook that would defiantly help me decide. I am just scared I will buy the wrong thing as this is allot of money to me.

About the mini it is cool and everything. But I had a cube for a while and I didn't use it as much as the ibook I am on at the moment. So we gave that cube to my little bro :) . He really likes it. I dont think I will use it as much as I would use the ibook. We already have an airport and stuff so I like to take the ibook with me.

By the way the ibook I am on is a 466 MHz clamshell special addition it drives me mad sometimes. Every-time i plug it into the power it just shuts down. :confused: But when its running on the power it is fine.
 

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
321
0
Hi Danny,

it will come with iLife (possibly '05, make sure you ask!) but not iWork.

I'm 18, and was in a similar situation where I had a 'once-off' oppurtunity to spend some money on a computer. What did I buy? A secondhand G5! Why? Because I knew it might be a while before I could afford a new machine again.

Take this into account. Being 15, you might not get another chance to buy a computer for a while. Buy the best machine you can afford now, and it will last you to the end of your teens.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.