Confused!!

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hi
I've a shared data plan with my provider - currently with 2 phones and a tablet. For tablet to share the data i pay $10 extra monthly. But when i put the sim into a new iphone 5c (which i bought as a gift for someone) smartphone it acts like a normal phone (both the tablet and phone have the same type of sim card) - i can call into this number and it rings!!.. Not sure how this works. The tablet sim is supposed to be only to share data no voice..how does it ring then when i put in in the phone? Will i be charged for voice if someone calls this number?

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Hi
I've a shared data plan with my provider - currently with 2 phones and a tablet. For tablet to share the data i pay $10 extra monthly. But when i put the sim into a new iphone 5c (which i bought as a gift for someone) smartphone it acts like a normal phone (both the tablet and phone have the same type of sim card) - i can call into this number and it rings!!.. Not sure how this works. The tablet sim is supposed to be only to share data no voice..how does it ring then when i put in in the phone? Will i be charged for voice if someone calls this number?
Why does this matter? if it's shared data plans, it's unlimited voice. No charges since it's unlimited.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Not sure how this works. The tablet sim is supposed to be only to share data no voice..how does it ring then when i put in in the phone? Will i be charged for voice if someone calls this number?
There's no reason for them to give you a 'data only' sim since the tablet can't receive calls.

Since they can easily see what kind of device the card is in, there's a chance they might charge you for voice as well since you put the sim in something that can handle it.

Put it back in the tablet and stop worrying about it.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Why does this matter? if it's shared data plans, it's unlimited voice. No charges since it's unlimited.
no..the tablet sim card is not supposed to have voice..i only pay $10 to share the data ..is there a way to block voice on the phone where this sim is?

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Don't put the tablet sim into the phone?
got it..with my provider they will not give a data only plan for iphones..If i need to give the extra phone for my kid just for data, i have to subscribe for an expensive plan even though they will never use the voice..

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
got it..with my provider they will not give a data only plan for iphones..If i need to give the extra phone for my kid just for data, i have to subscribe for an expensive plan even though they will never use the voice..
Right... and, by taking the sim meant for a tablet and putting it into a phone, you risk them adding on that 'expensive plan' without warning.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Right... and, by taking the sim meant for a tablet and putting it into a phone, you risk them adding on that 'expensive plan' without warning.
should i call them and ask to remove the voice from the sim so that this doesnt happen??

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
should i call them and ask to remove the voice from the sim so that this doesnt happen??
You can call, but they won't.

If you want to use a phone on your plan, they will want it voice enabled and charge you accordingly. Otherwise, get/ use a tablet like your plan was designed for.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Don't know what to tell ya, the provider will end up charging you for the voice + data plan anyway.