Confused!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vhl71, Apr 9, 2014.

1. vhl71 macrumors regular

Hi
    I've a shared data plan with my provider - currently with 2 phones and a tablet. For tablet to share the data i pay $10 extra monthly. But when i put the sim into a new iphone 5c (which i bought as a gift for someone) smartphone it acts like a normal phone (both the tablet and phone have the same type of sim card) - i can call into this number and it rings!!.. Not sure how this works. The tablet sim is supposed to be only to share data no voice..how does it ring then when i put in in the phone? Will i be charged for voice if someone calls this number?

2. keitarou macrumors 6502

Why does this matter? if it's shared data plans, it's unlimited voice. No charges since it's unlimited.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There's no reason for them to give you a 'data only' sim since the tablet can't receive calls.

Since they can easily see what kind of device the card is in, there's a chance they might charge you for voice as well since you put the sim in something that can handle it.

Put it back in the tablet and stop worrying about it.

4. vhl71 thread starter macrumors regular

no..the tablet sim card is not supposed to have voice..i only pay $10 to share the data ..is there a way to block voice on the phone where this sim is?

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes, put the sim back in the tablet.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Don't put the tablet sim into the phone?

7. vhl71 thread starter macrumors regular

got it..with my provider they will not give a data only plan for iphones..If i need to give the extra phone for my kid just for data, i have to subscribe for an expensive plan even though they will never use the voice..

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Right... and, by taking the sim meant for a tablet and putting it into a phone, you risk them adding on that 'expensive plan' without warning.

9. vhl71 thread starter macrumors regular

should i call them and ask to remove the voice from the sim so that this doesnt happen??

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You can call, but they won't.

If you want to use a phone on your plan, they will want it voice enabled and charge you accordingly. Otherwise, get/ use a tablet like your plan was designed for.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Don't know what to tell ya, the provider will end up charging you for the voice + data plan anyway.