confused?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by floppitydoppity, Sep 6, 2008.

1. floppitydoppity macrumors newbie

ok, my best friend has had an iMac for a while now. she has the white one and i have just bought a new aluminium machine.
    now when she puts a dvd in her drive she can drag the video ts folder onto the desktop whereas I can't. It says i do not have permission for the operation. i am an administrator but when i look at info it states the dvd is read only.

can i change that or have apply changed something in the new imac that will stop this.??
    :confused:

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Maybe its the DVD she is using. It may not have protection.

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The DVD media is read only. That cannot be changed.

If you would like to copy the disc to your hard drive, try using a utility like Mac the Ripper. Handbrake is another free utility that has many useful output options.

4. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

MAC THE RIPPER is now in bittorrent-ville. Not sure what happened, but it fled into more obscure areas of the net than the mirrors they had years ago.

I just tried finding it again and had to get the torrent download. It's a brilliant program I recommend to anyone having to rip any region DVD to their Mac, opening codes and allowing universal access to video.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Legal, licensed copies of Mac The Ripper's latest release (V 3.0 r14m) can be obtained by following the instructions in the Sticky Notes in Mac The Ripper forum at www.ripdifferent.com.

Please come join the forum- and the licensed users that support the incredible efforts of the single developer who has been pushed to the edge of throwing in the towel because of the torrents. If he does that, an awesome app will be lost!:(

6. floppitydoppity thread starter macrumors newbie

hi yoyo5280

the strange thing is she tried the exact same disc as i tried.
    its a mystery!!

7. cw2k7 macrumors member

She might have FairMount installed (part of DVD Remaster) as it does on the fly css decryption so you can then drag and drop to copy of the video_ts folder.

8. floppitydoppity thread starter macrumors newbie

fairmount

i will have ask her. is there anything else you can have running in the background to do the same . pref freeware
    thanks for all the help