Confusing battery use...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Littlefields, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Littlefields macrumors newbie

How's it going everybody?

So i just received my 13" mbp recently and was told by a close friend that I should take care of my battery or else suffer poor battery life in the future. After calibrating the battery, I researched a bit and came across various FAQs and guides, including Macrumor's very own guide.

To keep a long story short, I didn't understand most of what is describes. What exactly makes a battery cycle? If I use my battery until about 60% then plug in the power adapter to charge to 100%, will that keep my battery in good shape? Should I even be worrying about this whole battery life business? :confused:

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My suggestion is to not worry about it. Use the computer the way you want to use it and don't worry about all of that stuff.

On a side note, one thing you will want to do, however, is to calibrate the battery once a month. To do this, simply use your computer until the battery is completely dead. Then let the computer sit until the pulsating white light on the front goes out (It'll be a few hours). And then simply charge the computer up to 100% and you've calibrated the battery. Other than doing that once a month, use the computer as you want to and don't worry about it :)

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Don't worry about it. All calibration does it make the battery indicator more accurate. I use my MBP off the charger, and whenever I'm not using it... its on the charger!

I do that and it seems fine :D

4. Littlefields thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any harm in keeping the macbook charged at 100% for a couple of hours?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, you can keep it charged at 100% for a couple weeks if you want as long as you calibrate it once a month.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

nope!