Confusing MacBook Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by appleboyy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. appleboyy macrumors 6502

hello.. just gotten back from a trip with my macbook

when i switch it on,it plays the chime, but nothing comes up on the display for around 30 seconds.. when it does it shows the arrow for 5 seconds, then goes into a loop of flashing a blue screen and black screen with a white cursor on.. whats up with it?!

i've tryed booting into EFI mode etc..

nvram reset..

nothing works :(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. pdubak macrumors member

Reset PRAM?

EDIT: It sounds like a bad OS.. yes, follow the guide :)

4. appleboyy thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't have the adaptors, but it's recently been to the store for a new lid since the unibody cracking issues...

5. pdubak macrumors member

Hold Alt+Command+P+R at startup to do a PRAM reset. It should chime a second time when it's complete. I usually do it 3-4 times before I let go.

If that don't work I would boot to the OS install CD. You can try doing a Repair Disk or Repair Permissions before doing a restore install.

6. appleboyy thread starter macrumors 6502

just tryed that combination... nothing, put the cd in.. and its booting now.. but nothings on the screen, this is starting to really bug me now!

yep, none work :(

its confusing as it was working fine, and then when i booted it the morning, that happened?!

7. pdubak macrumors member

It's possible hardware is the problem then.

Try getting an external display connected, if the same thing is displayed on the external then you may have a bad logicboard.

If it's all good on the external display, then the display itself is likely the issue.

8. appleboyy thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont have the adaptors, so it looks asif im gonna have to take it to the apple store which is like 2 hrs away !

second time in 2 months, not good!

9. pdubak macrumors member

Or try an AASP if the drives too long. Keep guys like me in business. :D

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1434

10. appleboyy thread starter macrumors 6502

do they do the 3 strike rule... 3 problems with the laptop and you get a new one? coz im fed up with having to keep taking it back

11. pdubak macrumors member

I've never heard of such a thing but a lot of people would be getting free laptops if that was the case.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The "three strikes" rule does only apply to the same defect, so if you had three defects with the logic board, you'll get a replacement, but if you had three defects on different parts (HDD, logic board, display), it is a bit harder to get a replacement.