confusing SD card permission issue with MBP iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by micah360, Jun 16, 2010.

1. micah360 macrumors newbie

Ok... this is driving me nuts. I have an 8GB SD card (brand is PNY) that I use for music in my car. It has been working fine in my 13" macbook pro (2.4GHz) up until yesterday. Now when I insert it in the card reader of the MBP and click "get info" it tells me that it's read only.

So, I insert the card in my iMac (2.8GHz i7) and it's read and write in this machine.

I've tried creating a new user on the MBP to no avail. And no, the locking tab is not activated.

To further trouble shoot, I borrowed a external, universal card reader from a co-worker and used it on the MBP and it shows up as read and write when connected this way. So I thnk it's the actual card reader slot in the MBP that is the problem.

Is there anyway to remedy this? I want to be able to use my card reader and not the external card reader BS.

thanks in advance.....

2. micah360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a feeling nobody would be able to help with this one.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It could be the card reader slot.

The lock tab on an SD card isn't an electrical switch or anything, all it does is cause a switch to be pressed inside the card reader depending on which position the plastic locking tab is in. If that switch in the card reader has failed then it would cause any card inserted to be locked.

Can you try any other SD cards in the card reader?

4. micah360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... thanks. No, I don't have another card to try... this is my one and only SD card. I bought it just for music in the car.