Confusing sync issue, different accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Maury, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

My daughter has my old iPhone 3G. After we passed it over to her we synched the music with her old iPod, which included both burned CDs and some iTunes Store content.

When she took it home, her brother synched it with his iTunes account on his machine - no idea why. All the songs we synced here were removed and replaced with his content. No complains from her, so I didn't know this happened.

Since then has used that account to buy new iTunes content. Over the last few months this built up, with some Christmas gift cards. Now she has a new album to burn, but if we do that on this machine it will go into her old account.

I'd like to set the iPhone back to the original account on the local machine. I'd like to not lose everything she's purchased since then.

I really don't know enough about the iTunes structure to know what to do at this point. Any advice?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

The reason why the content was removed was because it was being synced with a computer it's not authorized for. It removes your content and puts the content from that new computer on. Just resync it with the computer you want the music from.

3. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

But then I will lose the music she's bought since and has on the iPhone now. Right?

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes, but you can redownload it all for free.

5. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok this sounds doable. So how do I do the re-download?

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Go to your Purchased section in the iTunes Store on either your computer or your phone. You gotta do each song individually.

What's in your music library? Is the music in there?

7. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this wasn't nearly as obvious as I thought it would be.

Just to be safe, I created a new account on the local machine, so I could do a backup/sync. That way I'd have everything if something went wrong. I Authorized using the account the phone is currently set to, the *wrong* account.

When I tried to sync, it did nothing. So I then went through the tabs and turned on syncing. However, when you do so it says it's going to erase all the songs/apps/etc on the phone.

Is it?