Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I dont know much about blogs.
I thought they were supposed to be something like subdomain style like name.blogspot.com or name.wordpress.com

I thought that all someone could do is a web based task, like registering in a specific weblog-specific site, and then create a new blog online.

But this does not seem to happen as far as I read this article
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/28/45-excellent-blog-designs/

What is supposed to be a blog from a technical point of view? A block of php script files that someone could download, customize, and upload to its own domain?

All the site links the above link has, have their own domain name.

Are these blogs, something like content management system scripts? Like these posted in hotscripts.com?

Please help me find out the whole truth about blog creation.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Google has everything but it is a bit chaotic when you search to start from something.

Always I do my own search but it is very easy to get lost in results when you do not know how to precisely describe what you mean.

I hoped a human reply would be better.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Google has everything but it is a bit chaotic when you search to start from something.
I linked you to a page of definitions. Hardly chaotic.
I hoped a human reply would be better.
Where do you think those Google definitions came from? People wrote them! The reason all I did was link is because those results describe exactly what a blog is. A blog doesn't have to fit certain rules exactly (domain names as you mention, or be produced by a certain product - blogger, wordpress). A blog is a blog, as defined to some extent on the page I linked to.

This is a really bizarre question :confused:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
It seems that blog is something described based on its content(personal diary, thoughts etc).
I already knew that.
Now I realize that this does not necessarily means that is hosted to central site but it could be each one on its own domain.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You can create a blog using a service such as wordpress.com or blogger.com. You can also create a blog by installing blogging software on a dedicated server. Some of the more common blogging software can be found at wordpress.org and movabletype.com.

Both of my blogs (linked in my .sig) are the second type.

They're pretty easy to install, as long as you or your ISP can set up a MySQL database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.