Confusion between Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. Finding mixed answers online : /

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chrono1081, Jun 29, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys.

I'm blazing through the Objective-C book I have (Coming from C and C++ makes this process fast) and I was looking at Cocoa books then I see how iPhone uses Cocoa Touch...which I cannot find any books for.

Am I find just grabbing some Cocoa Books? My main (short term) goal is to remake all the little SDL games I made onto iPhone. (I'm also assuming I should be doing this in Cocoa not Quartz...not really sure of the difference).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and on a side note, its not possible for me to go to a bookstore and look at the books to see what I need. I'm restricted to online shopping only.

2. bredell macrumors regular

Have you checked out the free Apple books that are available online? I think the following might be of interest to you:

"The Objective-C 2.0 Programming Language"
    "Cocoa Fundamentals Guide", describes Cocoa and Cocoa Touch.

There are lots of other Apple books available online. If you're comfortable reading books from the computer screen I think you'll find everything you need online.

Also, make sure that the Objective-C books you read really discuss Objective-C 2.0.

/Mats

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you! I didn't even know these existed. I've been reading for the past hour now :)

4. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Cocoa = Foundation + AppKit
    Cocoa Touch = Foundation + UIKit

UIKit and AppKit have some similarities. If an NS... class exists, it's usually very similar to the iPhone's version (UI....). For example, UITextField and NSTextField. Mac-specific stuff like dock tiles and menubars aren't included in the UIKit versions, obviously.

UIKit also includes new stuff, like Multi-touch, that doesn't exist in AppKit.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you for the clarification :)

I didn't catch that when I was looking through my books but now I notice it.