Confusion on buying Macbook Now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Watch, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Watch macrumors newbie

So I have wanted a macbook ever since they have been released. I will be heading off to college this fall and want to take an amazing macbook. Now I have a problem. I'm going through a year of college and then leaving on a mission for my church where my macbook would just sit around, collecting dust for two years.
    So I have three options.
    1. buy a macbook now, the current one, and hope it lasts me 6 years, four years of college and 2 on a mission.
    2. wait until they update the macbook, and still be in the 6 year predicament.
    3. take my parents crappy laptop for the first year of college. and when I get back from my mission in 2011 use the money I have saved now and get the current version then.
    I'm just having a hard time deciding. I don't want to spend the money now, then in 4 years feel like I have to get a new one and not be able to finish college with it, but I would like to go to college with something reliable....
    any advice?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Tough it out for a year, go on your mission and buy whatever you like when you get back. You'll be in a much better position.

Sure, it will be frustrating, but I'm sure there are plenty of computer labs where you can interact with other students, an important part of college.

Sucks to wait, but in the long run you'll be much, much better off.

Or you can buy one now, sell it after a year and use that money plus a little more when you get back. You'd have to take real good care of it for a year though, and freshman year in college won't make that easy.

3. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

I agree with waiting. A year really isn't that long and you can tough it out with the crappy one. Then, when you get back you can get a new one. By then, who knows what killer changes they will have made. It's tough, but wait it out.

4. Bokes macrumors 6502

Buy now- sell in a year.
    Mac hold a pretty re-sell value.
    Then re-buy in two years.