Confusion on firewire cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Strangelove, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

WARNING, some cheap firewire cables and really F things up, I had a bad cheap firewire cable ended up firing 3 external drives and 2 iMacs before I realized it was the cable, had to get the iMacs fixed at the Apple Store, had one external replaced under warrantee, and the others are USB only. Some times it better to purchase a quality cable.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

REBUTTAL: It's Monoprice. Be cool, man, be cool.

I'm fairly certain a CABLE didn't fry two iMacs.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is not a rebuttal.

However, cables are fairly standard these days and few people are buying the $20-$100 counterparts of any one cable.

Monoprice seems to do well providing decent cables at a fair price.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I thought that their history of providing quality merchandise was a solid rebuttal...:eek::confused:

6. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I am cool, it was a cable, it was the cable supplied with my WD external, found out after that they had a batch of bad cables, they ship out. Never say never, irony will strike.

PS thanks for the monorice info, will use that next time.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Cheap cables = win. I buy < $1 HDMI cables off Amazon all the time and they work just as well as the $50 ones sold at retail.
    I once bought a Firewire 800 to 400 cable at the Apple retail store and paid over $30 for it. I needed it that day so I wasn't able to order it online.
    I always plan ahead for when I need cables now. I end up with a larger number of cables, but I pay significantly less in total.