Confusion on which to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moorashjs, Nov 18, 2014.

1. moorashjs macrumors newbie

Okay all, I have an old MB in the white plastic case. It has been great but I notice it is getting a bit slower and thinking i might be getting close to the end of its cycle. I have been looking at the MBA the 1.7ghz with the 128GB. I am worried about such small storage but can get it for 899 minus some coupons I have at Best Buy. Now the problem is on BF they have the older MBP for 899. So that's the dilemma, do I go with newer but less storage and upgrade possibilites or older with more upgrade ability. Thanks.

2. bjgpp macrumors member

I have a 1.4ghz 2014 MBA with 128gb and it is not enough storage for me. I absolutly love the speed and crazy long battery life though. If you buy the newer model, I'd spring for a USB 3.0 external drive. I bought a 2TB Seagate USB 3.0 External for $89 on Amazon the other day and that has helped me with my storage issues.

3. moorashjs thread starter macrumors newbie

do you mind carrying lots of stuff

Thanks for the response. I guess my only concern is not having to carry extra "things" with me. This is a real tough decision lol

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Never buy a machine where you are tight on disk space from the start. If you can't afford the newer model with more space then buy the older model. Keeping data on external drives is an exercise in frustration. Much harder to make good backups. Hassles when you forget to plug it in and launch an app that needs the data on the external.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I would get the i5/4GB/256GB MBA. In the past, BB has sold them new for as little as 950$. The old MBP is not worth it. Worst case scenario, get an external hard drive.

6. moorashjs thread starter macrumors newbie

sd card

what about just adding the sd card for storage.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Meh

Then you have something sticking out of your computer all the time.

I went from a 128gb Air to a 256gb MBP and I'm glad I did. Even with iTunes Match, I was constantly worried about disk space.

Spend a little more, get 256.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

and the sd card expansion is only available on the 13" i think.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

He's totally right, and that's totally embarrassing because I had a damn 11" MBA for two years and until I saw the quote above, I completely forgot about that.

I second my original advice to get 256.

10. moorashjs thread starter macrumors newbie

price

okay thanks all. So...now the 13 inch is 845 open box and in excellent condition. the 256gb open box is 1071. Thinking the 13 is the way to go.